Storage forum

General discussion

External Drive Recommendations for MBP?

by ekn111 / November 24, 2006 7:30 AM PST

Hello,

I am in the market for a big external hard drive to back up my Macbook Pro (15.4", 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, OS X 10.4.8) as well as provide extra storage for music and video files. I'm hoping for a drive that is PC-compatible also since I use Boot Camp on my MBP.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External Drive Recommendations for MBP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External Drive Recommendations for MBP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Fair warning. Look at this forum and find...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2006 7:46 AM PST

FAT32 volumes can go missing or corrupt on USB 2.0 or even firewire. Be sure you don't count on them to stick around. The sad news is that if you must interchange said drive, FAT32 is the only way today. But you won't see me relying on it to stick around.

Bob

Collapse -
Ok...
by ekn111 / November 24, 2006 8:39 AM PST

Thanks Bob. Definitely didn't know about that limitation.

Is it possible to say...save the files I want from Windows onto my 30GB Ipod and transfer them to my Mac drive instead? And does this mean I should look exclusively at drives that are designed for Macs now?

Collapse -
Good idea. Ask around.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2006 8:56 AM PST
In reply to: Ok...

I don't have that to try out. I was under the impression the file space was MAC or Windows only and not a transfer space from one to the other. Sorry, just something I haven't looked at.

Bob

Collapse -
That's fine
by ekn111 / November 24, 2006 9:36 AM PST
In reply to: Good idea. Ask around.

I appreciate your help so far, Bob. As for the external drive, do you have any strong recommendations off the top of your head? Maybe some brands known for reliability or best value, particularly for the mac?

Collapse -
I admit it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2006 10:22 AM PST
In reply to: That's fine

At home and office we don't use prebuilt units for the usual 3.5 hard disk sizes. We pick up USB 2.0 cases or ones with firewire for the Apple and slip a drive of our choosing into such. I do have a 60GB Seagate for the laptop but that was some sale item and it looks pretty nice and tough.

My only criteria for the units we've built is they have a fan.

Bob

Collapse -
I keep...
by ekn111 / November 24, 2006 4:33 PM PST
In reply to: I admit it.

hearing about the advantage of building your own external drive...Is it doable for the average Joe? How would you go approaching this? Is there a guide somewhere? Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate everything. Thanks!

Collapse -
Do you know what a Philips screwdriver is?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2006 11:16 PM PST
In reply to: I keep...

Then it's likely you can build your own. We've done that numerous times at home and office. You pick a case and drive from places like newegg.com or case from them and watch the sales for 89/99 buck 300GB drives then go do it.

My only thought about the case is I want it to have a fan.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by ekn111 / December 4, 2006 6:48 AM PST

So I get the general idea now...After some browsing around, I'm getting confused by the techical stuff (mainly the interface)...so what's up with the IDE, SATA, SCSI, and so on stuff? At that point, I was just about to pick a random one and hope it worked...didn't think it was such a good idea though =)

Collapse -
Mix and match.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2006 6:53 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Bob

For most, they will want firewire on the Mac. So find a firewire/usb case. Now look at it's specs. Almost 100% of the time it takes a PATA IDE drive. Should be simple enough to get both.

Bob

Collapse -
It's me again...
by ekn111 / December 23, 2006 8:16 AM PST
In reply to: Mix and match.

Hey Bob,

Sorry to have to bother you again, but can you give me some advice on this deal through newegg?

http://promotions.newegg.com/HDD/121506/index.html

I couldn't find much information on the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 model...what do you think? Good enough buy?

Collapse -
You know what....
by ekn111 / December 23, 2006 8:21 AM PST
In reply to: Mix and match.

Maybe I'll just look for some cheap external drive instead...I have enough to worry about for my first year in college!...I wish I can just find a good deal on a 300-500GB drive and be done with it.

Collapse -
Santa brought our college kid a ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2006 8:56 AM PST
In reply to: You know what....

Metal Gear case and a 300GB drive. Santa paid 99 bucks for the drive and 25 for the case. Elvis put it together and it's done.

I fear you may be overanalyzing this simple product.

Bob

Collapse -
I agree...
by ekn111 / December 23, 2006 10:08 AM PST

Ok, this thread is now officially closed then. =P

$99 though?!? I need to look waaay harder. Thanks for helping this newbie freshman Bob.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?