Question

External drive dock with hardware write protection?

Sometimes I need to clone a hard drive before attempting to recover data from it. To prevent from accidentally writing anything to the drive, is there a sata drive dock with hardware write-protection?

The only thing I found cost US$250 and is made by weibetech. That's 5 times the price of a regular drive dock. Is there something more reasonable? I don't want software solution (not reliable).

As for interface to the PC, either USB2, esata, or firewire.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: External drive dock with hardware write protection?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: External drive dock with hardware write protection?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Yup.
- Collapse -
cost even more

I'm not doing any "forensic" work, just practicing safe data handling. The makers of these devices tag on the word "forensic" to justify the high price tag.

To make matters worse no reputable dealers (e.g. newegg) are selling write-block devices. So you basically have to buy from the makers at the list price.

The alternative you suggest cost even more Sad

Perhaps someday china would make this, then it would be a cheap-looking device that sells for $20.

CNET Forums