HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Extending my Home Network

by Swiftshark / November 18, 2006 10:32 PM PST

I have a Linksys WRT54G and a Linksys WRT54GS wireless routers. I have a cable modem in the basement along with a computer I want to use as on the network file storage and sharing. I have one computer on in one bedroom which is used by one member of my family that sometime needs access to files on the "common" basement PC. I have two computers in a remodled garage with only one ethernet wire available; but insufficient wireless signal strength to use wireless. My sons who occasionally visit have laptops which can access my wireless network in only limited rooms. I want to "daisy chain" (wired) the 2 routers so that I have More wired access in the converted garage and secondly extend the range on my wireless. I want to do this without buying more hardware or having to add additional wiring. Can this be done? and how.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Extending my Home Network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Extending my Home Network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd Suggest Doing It All Wirelessly...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 19, 2006 3:25 AM PST

You have a number of options but you haven't told use everything wee need to know... I find there may be little need to daisy chain any routers. You should be able to get away with a single wireless router. Sharing the various files, once everything is connected on the same network, can be done for none or all of the computers running.. It's possible to make free hi-gain antennas for all computers and routers needed but you'll want to get the wireless router out of the basement, if that's where it is currently.. Hi-Gain Directional antennas may be the way to go for the machines in the all the different locations trying to connect directly but much is dependent on what you already have.

Free Wireless Antennas

I've used the example below and placed it on wireless routers for myself and a few customers.. It's amazing how such a small device can kick up the gain:

EZ Parabolic Antenna with Template and Instructions

If you want to get serious, use an old satellite dish or an old metal colander to create a great antenna and put it outside the garage, pointing at the house. Depending on distance and how much cabling you already have, you might have an option to run ethernet cable from the cable modem in the basement to the bedroom computer where you could then connect the router with a sufficient hi-gain antenna to cover both the basement computer and the garage computers.

Unfortunately, your request to not buy "anything" leaves us wanting to know EXACTLY what you already have.. WHERE are the routers currently? In the basement? How much ethernet cable do you already have? Which computers already have wireless cards?

If you're stuck on leaving the garage computers "wired", then a simple switch for around $10 and two more short ethernet cables to split the connection would allow you to connect wired in the garage.. That's assuming you already have a long ethernet cable running between the garage and the house.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
Extending my Home Network
by Swiftshark / November 19, 2006 5:53 AM PST

Thanks Grif. The former attached former garage was converted to a media,family room with a den (PC room) at far end. The basement is only under the rest of the ranch style house. The cable entries, thus the modem, is located over 40 feet horizontally, one level below the den. The basement computer, the bedroom computer and den are have ethernet lines to the basement router. Only one ethernet line from the present router to the den exists, and it would be almost inpossible to run a second line. What I want to do is use that existing line as an imput to a second router. This would give me additional connections for ethernet, if I later need them, but primarily allow wireless in the family room. Since I already have the 2 routers, I would like to be able to use them rather than buy something else. All my computers run Windows XP and my sons who visit have XP laptops. Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.