Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Extending existing wired/wirelss network

by 72kingscc / June 7, 2011 9:14 PM PDT

I have an existing network in a 300 year old structure. There is a base router from which there are 3 wired (ethernet) lines to parts of the structure. Due to the structure itself (near 2 ft thick walls - masonry) the wireless from the base router reaches only a short distance. I would like to "extend" the wireless reach using those 3 existing runs.

So - can I add 3 more routers or should I go with Wireless Access Points or what else would work?

Greatly appreciate the help! Chris

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Extending existing wired/wirelss network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Extending existing wired/wirelss network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
wireless extened
by bill012 / June 7, 2011 10:40 PM PDT

Both options are the same in a way. If you use routers the recommend method is to use only the lan ports and disable the DHCP. It makes your "router" into a wireless switch/ap. It is mostly a cost thing. You can many times get a router for less than a AP. One of those strange things when it comes to pricing.

The key time you want to use AP is when you want/need to provide the power to the remote device over the ethernet cable. There are not a lot of PoE routers but almost all AP support PoE.

Collapse -
DHCP assist and Router vs WAP pricing
by 72kingscc / June 8, 2011 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: wireless extened

Thanks for the assist the DHCP disable as I wondered if that might turn the Router into what I want and in shedding some light on why a WAP is more costly than a Router - still doesn't (pricing) make sense to me - but at least I'm not the only one befuddled by gear maker pricing.

Collapse -
Unbefuddler.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2011 10:09 AM PDT

Wifi routers are made by the boatload.
WAP may have less parts but since you can't enjoy what they call "economies of scale."

Look at the store shelves and you see more than 10 to 1 routers over waps. That's the tip of the iceberg explaination.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Seems like a perfect time to try
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2011 4:23 AM PDT

Powerline networking products. Plenty made today with many options.
Bob

Collapse -
Powerline
by 72kingscc / June 8, 2011 12:22 PM PDT

Looked at a number of these online and they appear to be a better way to go and I saw some while browsing in a store yesterday - just wasn't aware of their capabilities until later. Thanks!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.