TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Extended warrenties on micro displays

by masterying01 / February 13, 2006 1:16 PM PST

i'm just curious.

the bulbs in microdisplays (dlp, lcd, lcos, etc) are a consumable part and need to be replaced. its a known fact that these tv's are very inconsistent in quality. bulbs range from $150+ and for some of these tv's, you'll have to replace the thing that power the bulbs too which is at least another $100 probably.

most successful retail stores or online stores will sell extended warrenties. why do SO MANY of you not want to get that warrenty when it'll pay for itself most likely and ensure that the $4000 that you paid for that tv will be there for the next 4+ years.

i will never buy extended warrenties on computers, cameras, audio equipment, video components, etc.....but i will always get it for a microdisplay tv just cause of that bulb. why would you not do it? (this is not meant to start arguements...i just want to know your prespective cause a lot of you are much more knowledgable then me)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Extended warrenties on micro displays
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Extended warrenties on micro displays
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Read what is covered
by techfiend / February 13, 2006 3:59 PM PST

Often the manufacturer has their own coverage. I own a mitsu microdisplay and the bulb is $300 the warranty is $450, the bulb lasts for 3000 hours (avg.). When it is time for my 2nd bulb replacement the warranty is over(about 2 1/2 yrs) So I made a decision to forgo the warranty and buy the bulb when the time comes. Also according to Consumer reports mitsubishi makes the TV with the fewest repairs.

Collapse -
One problem is these bulbs are not lasting near as long...
by johnhunter44 / February 13, 2006 7:25 PM PST
In reply to: Read what is covered

...as the manufacturer says. Reading these forums, you see many bulbs burning out in 4-5 months, which I guess the Original Factory warranty will cover, but not after the first year. During the 3 other years, most will need to replace at least one bulb, so buying the warranty made sense to me. Just be sure the warranty you purchase covers bulbs. Mine did. Also, light engines ($1500 job), ballasts, etc can go bad and the warranty would take care of that..

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!