General discussion

Extended warranty insurance -- input?

I am planning to purchase a Nikon D90 in the next few days but wanted to see if anyone had suggestions for what type of extended warranty would be best? Also, do you always need to buy the camera at the same place as the warranty?

I found a camera online at two stores for a good deal, but they don't offer extended warranties. Amazon sells various warranties (like SquareTrade's 3-year warranty), but it appears that you needed to have bought the camera on Amazon (and the camera is more money than other places).

I am trying to figure out if I should only buy the camera at a place that can give me an extended warranty (even if the camera is more money there) or whether people have suggestions of good extended warranties that can be used with my camera but purchased elsewhere.

Thanks for the help!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Extended warranty insurance -- input?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Extended warranty insurance -- input?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Extended warranty
- Collapse -
Nikon extended warranty (vs. another company)

Thank you! I did see that I can buy an extended 2-year warranty from Nikon (prices vary depending on where you buy them). I am now deciding between the following options:
1. buy Nikon extended warranty
2. buy extended warranty from a place like SquareTrade (which covers all electronic and mechanical problems, not just manufacturer defects).

Does anyone have experience/thoughts on whether the Nikon extended warranty is a better option (it is cheaper, but it is confusing from talking to them and reading their "coverage" as to whether it covers everything something like Squaretrade does)?

Thank you!

CNET Forums

Forum Info