Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Extended Warranty for Plasma

by hlc216 / January 23, 2006 2:39 AM PST

I just bought the Panasonic 42'' Plasma EDTV (TH-42PD50U) at Circuit City for $1800. I also purchased their 5-year extended warranty for $500. Normally I hate extended warranties but because this is a Plasma I figured I should. I am experiencing buyer?s remorse on the warranty and did some research and found this independent warranty offer: REPAIR MASTER RMT42500 4-Year In-Home Television Warranty Extension Service Plan (Total 5 Years) for only $180. See it at this link: http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/productdetail.asp?productid=984

I am considering returning the Circuit City warranty and purchasing the cheaper one. It is a substantial saving of $200.

Can anyone give me some advice? Have you had any experience with either company?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Extended Warranty for Plasma
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Extended Warranty for Plasma
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For The Price Of That TV I'd Wing It Without Any Extended...
by Psych Doc / January 23, 2006 3:05 AM PST

..Warranty.

Simply not worth it. For your $1800 you get a year. After that I'd just hope for the best. It's not like you spent $3500 on the set. I would never trust a warranty for that little money. Seems to me when and if you need it, that outfit may be gone or out of business. Sadly, any decent warranty from a reputable place is going to cost more than it's worth in view of the very nice price you got on the TV.

Just my opinion.

Collapse -
Fans?
by hlc216 / January 23, 2006 5:20 AM PST

Thanks for the info. I have heard that the cooling fans on Plasmas might break and are espensive to fix or replace.

What do you think?

Collapse -
Thus Far Plasmas Have Been Much More Reliable Than RPTV's
by Psych Doc / January 23, 2006 7:49 AM PST
In reply to: Fans?

...DLP has had a lot of problems as have RPLCD's.

Like I said, I'd save my money, kick back and enjoy.

Collapse -
more reason to buy from Costco
by idwk / January 23, 2006 7:36 AM PST

I'd check the fine prints from the warranty of the third party vendor -- I'm sure there are a lot of disclaimers in there. Why? If something does go wrong with the plasma screen (the gas, the glass pane, etc) the plasma is junk -- it can't be fixed. That is why the warranty is so expensive.

My advise -- return it and buy a comparable plasma from Costco -- their return policy is unbeatble -- just make sure you keep all the boxes, foam, manuals, and wrappings (costco won't accept returns without them).

Collapse -
question about that return policy
by masterying01 / January 23, 2006 12:52 PM PST

does the product have to be in working order? or can you return it if it breaks?

Collapse -
Sam's Club warranty
by rondagold1 / June 5, 2008 3:34 AM PDT

We are going thru hell with Sam's club extended warranty also. First they told us that our HD television would be replaced or a check sent out due to the length of time (45 days) and that the part couldn't be found. Now they are sending our TV out for 30 more days and they made it a separate claim because as they worded it, their discretion. Also they have told us that the warranty doesn't cover usable parts. Okay? Basically you get what you pay for we will never buy anything electronical from Sam's club again.

Collapse -
Parts!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2008 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Sam's Club warranty

As an electronics designer I am aghast at what is happening in the service of HDTV sets. These are being treated like disposables and not something to be repaired.

Parts and service manuals are nearly non-existent so warranties are very important.
Bob

Collapse -
$500 to cover $1800.
by masterying01 / January 23, 2006 12:51 PM PST

not worth it, unless you abuse the hell out of the warrenty by leaving your tv on 24/7. (comming from a customer point of view).

from a sales point of view.....your toal will be $2300, for a little more you can get a HD plasma which is actually good....and if you also get the warrenty, i'll cut you a nice deal like $300 off the whole package. (side note: circuit city is desperate for sales and will bend over quite a bit if you say "i'm gonna go to best buy if you can't beat it". they need to prove to the retail industry that they are still able to put out revenue...and will never pass up a $2.8k sale so you can go to Best Buy.)

Collapse -
28% For Insurance? Whoa!
by RoadRunner6 / January 23, 2006 5:52 PM PST
In reply to: $500 to cover $1800.

I wouldn't drean of paying a 28% premium for insurance especially on one of the industries most reliable brands. I don't buy extended warranties on anything, period. All the money I have saved over the years has paid for my two current plasmas plus some.

It's a matter of wager. What are the odds that you will need repairs after the manufacturer's one year warranty, maybe 10%?

Yes, repairs on a plasma are somewhat more likely than on a receiver but look at the cost for only 4 more years.

Take that $500 and buy yourself a good A/V receiver or superb subwoofer from Outlaw Audio, SVS Subwoofers or HSU Subwoofers.

RR6

Collapse -
And One More Thing
by RoadRunner6 / January 23, 2006 5:59 PM PST

The extended warranties are one of dealer's most profitible items. That is why salespeople push you so hard to buy one. The dealers probably make twice as much profit on the extended warranties and Monster Cable (a big waste of money!) than on the TV.

Don't believe all the "horror" stories from the person trying to sell you the warranty about all the many things that might go wrong. They are hitting on your insecurity and wallet!

RR6

Collapse -
Thanks for the advice.
by hlc216 / January 23, 2006 9:41 PM PST

I am going to return the warranty today! My gut is telling me the same thing you guys are. And my gut is usually right and you have confirmed it!

Thanks again.

Collapse -
You Are Very, Very Welcome....
by Psych Doc / January 23, 2006 10:13 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the advice.

....Happy viewing!

Collapse -
Done..Just got back from Circuit City
by hlc216 / January 24, 2006 12:49 AM PST

Just returned the warranty and got my %500 back. I feel soooooooooooo much better now. Lesson Learned: Always trust your gut!!

Thanks again!

Collapse -
get it through SAMs club much cheaper
by nadeemabdul12 / January 24, 2006 10:33 AM PST

as above

Collapse -
Can I buy just the warranty from Sams Club?
by hlc216 / January 24, 2006 9:22 PM PST

...or do I need to buy the TV also, to be eligible for the agreement?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!