Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Extended Warranties

I'm ready to buy a new videocam and have not been pleased with the standard warranty that now comes with videocams. Extended warranties are offered. Questions are:
1. Are these just another way of ripping off the consumer or are they really worth it?
2. Has anyone ever bought and had to use it? If so, what were your experiences?
3. Are there any diffences among the various brands of warranties?
4. What are the most common problems with videocams that I can expect to deal with after warranty?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Extended Warranties
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Extended Warranties
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Extended warranties must be approached consistently.

In reply to: Extended Warranties

If you buy one for one product, you probably need to buy one for all products. If you don't buy one, then you should never buy one. I tend to buy them if it's a complex product, and the warrantee doesn't cost too much. In some cases, it pays off. I've had a used car's engine and transmission rebuilt, and a portable computer replaced. However, I've also had many items that never had a problem. Thus, my guess is that you tend to break even at best if you consistently made the same choice. The warranties are obviously lucrative for the stores.

Collapse -
just my ignorant opinion

I never buy extended warranties. first of all, I am cheap. second, I always figure, it's gonna break, it'll break right away.

if you buy one, you're betting it will break. They're betting it won't. and if it does break, the cost of the warranty probably covers their actual cost of making the camera. the house always wins.

and of course, as we all know, just because you have a warranty, that's no real guarantee that things will be fixed to your satisfaction. they might claim it's your fault, not covered, etc. etc.

question, are you careful with equipment, or do you treat it poorly? if the latter, then you might want to get one. also might want get one if you know it's gonna get a lot of use (or if kids are going to use it). if you're going to use it as a playback device into your TV instead of xferring things to DVD, that's another level of use to consider.

while I have never broken a handicam, outside of electronic failure, the problem I usually see in friend's handicams (as well as my own VCR's) is wearing out of the record/ playback heads. for this reason I strongly recommend keeping all tapes in their little plastic boxes at all times, as dust is a killer. moving parts, esp ones that rub up against something like oxide tape, tend to wear out sooner than non-moving parts. so don't keep using the same cassette over and over either.

you should also buy a nice little padded carry case for it.

just my 2 cents- fj

Collapse -
EXTENDED WARRANTIES ARE WORTHWHILE

If you buy an extended warranty make sure the company has been arround a long time. I see a lot of new warranty companies opening up, that want to make a fast buck and get out.
The way things are made today, smaller & faster, All the componts are pushed together and anything can go wrong.
Check the price of the warranty and make sure it is fair. Don't let the salesperson hasle you.
Be smart and you'll do ok

Collapse -
warrany

The warranty is just like any other. If something can go wrong, it might. If you buy the warranty and nothing ever goes wrong, you'll be upset that you got it. If you don't buy it and something does go wrong, you'll be upset you didn't.
I think of it like insurance. (Just in case)

Collapse -
Extended Warranties

Yes this is just an term Insurance policy. The company hopes you never have to use it.
There is a difference, READ CARFULLY.
I got one for a used car, then the company went bankrupt, classaction suit, still waiting on out come.
A video camera is a very complex device so lots of things can go wrong, DON'T drop it.
The only EW I would say is worth it would be the one from FRY's electronics. When I worked there part of my job was to handel EW claims, MY JOB WAS TO MAKE THE CUSTOMER HAPPY!!!!! As long as it wasn't customer damage. So again
don't drop it. John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.