Networking & Wireless forum

Resolved Question

Extend WiFi Range

by jackgreat / August 5, 2014 3:07 AM PDT

Hello Guys,

I need help regarding my wifi router. Internet is used at my home by my parents and my spouse. Basically all cell phones connect to the wifi, a tablet, desktop and a laptop. My desktop is connected through a Ethernet cable and rest all devices uses the wifi.

My building has three floors and mine is the middle one. The size of my floor is around 2000 sq feet. The walls are concrete ones. The wifi router I have is Netgear DGN2200 which does a so so job. When I go to the hall (which is towards one end of the home) the range drops to 1 point or so.

I want to extend the range so I think there are 2 ways to go. Either buy a router with a more powerful wi fi output or buy a range extender. I was reading about range extender and found that they do slow down the wifi speed to half to start with. Thus I am wondering if I should go for a more powerful router.

Netgear DGND3700 for example may have a more powerful wifi range but price wise it costs 3.5 times the router I am using currently. On the location front the current router is close to the center of home but towards the edge (balcony). I can't change the location though.The router sits on top of a printer (which is usually off) and adjacent to a cordless phone.

What do you guys suggest ? Since I want to extend the range how should I go about it.

Thank you,

Cheers,
Jack

jackgreat has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Extend WiFi Range
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Extend WiFi Range
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by jackgreat

Collapse -
No. There is no more powerful router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2014 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Extend WiFi Range

The FCC limits the power so instead you add things like extenders. I like this one since it avoids the usual extender speed drop. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSQAIQU/ref=CNET

But more about power. The FCC limits the power output of routers. There are those that sell many watt routers but in this country you would not want to get fined for having such. You may not want to be in the room with one either.
Bob

Collapse -
Confused
by jackgreat / August 5, 2014 3:25 AM PDT

Thanks for your reply.

I live in outside the US (in Asia). I was wondering if routers such as Netgear D6300 etc which claim to have way more poweful wi fi are genuine. I mean in your post you said there is no more powerful router. But for bigger homes there are powerful routers so I am confused.

Plus I am wondering if TP-LINK TL-WPA4220KIT ADVANCED 300Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender, Repeater, AV500 Powerline Edition will work in my country. I didnt understand how will electrical power help to extend range without ethernet cable or wifi.

Collapse -
If there was such
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2014 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Confused

Then you could look at the number of Watts given and find the most powerful.

The TP Link kit I noted would let me get WiFi to the needed area. It's a basic item a network will keep in their list of solutions when faced with your 3 story home.

As to your understanding I must keep this short as it's all out there on the web. The link from the router is over the powerline to the second module which has its own WiFi access point. There are some other caveats but it would handily look more powerful than any router I know of today.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by jackgreat / August 5, 2014 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: If there was such

Thanks Bob. I just want the signal in my floor of the home.

I know I might sound like a newbie but I did go through the description mentioned in the website regarding TP Link Kit. It establishes a stable Powerline network connection through existing electrical wiring while devoting the full extent of its wired and wireless capability to network client devices.

For e.g. if I connect it to another power socket will it do the job or does wire need to go from the socket where wifi router is connected to another one. I still don't get this actually.

Collapse -
It would be on the same power line as the router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2014 4:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I can plug the first unit into the socket by the router.

The second unit goes in the room where the WiFi is needed. There are tomes on the web about powerline networking but this KIT and ones like it are really nice since it has a the WAP inside. (google what a WAP is if you need to catch up on network terminology.)
Bob

Collapse -
Range extender
by jackgreat / August 5, 2014 4:54 PM PDT

I think I won't be easy to find a Powerline Network Range Extender in my city.

Do you think its advisable to buy a wifi range extender.

Collapse -
I'll have to write no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2014 5:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Range extender

If you can't get that kit, then it's doubtful that would sell an extender. Sounds like they don't have anything there? Sorry, but it's a big world, I can't check stock for you. Why not go there and ask?
Bob

Collapse -
range extender available
by jackgreat / August 5, 2014 5:29 PM PDT
In reply to: I'll have to write no.

The wifi range extender is available. It will be hard to find powerline range extender.

Do you recommend using Wifi range extender? If so any model recommendations.

Collapse -
No. I never recommend a range extender.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2014 5:43 PM PDT

My clients are demanding so we never field any extenders.
Bob

Collapse -
Am I stuck ?
by jackgreat / August 5, 2014 5:52 PM PDT

So basically either I go for a TP Link Powerline Range Extender or a new (a little more) powerful router. That's the summary of the whole discussion. Am I correct ?

Collapse -
You can try extenders.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2014 6:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Am I stuck ?

I find them to cause call backs. Either they fail out right to work, clients complain of the speed reduction or they don't know to place them halfway in between router and target area. Because of all that, our office won't touch them. Let others deal with it.
Bob

Collapse -
The thing is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2014 6:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Am I stuck ?

The kit I noted is about 55 bucks here. For that much we know it solves the usual issue you lead with. A "more powerful router" is not what I'm finding here as all routers limit the RF power. If it was true you could buy routers that stated the power output and then buy one with more power.

And at 55 bucks I see extenders go for that much. Good luck in whatever system you go for.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by jackgreat / August 5, 2014 6:57 PM PDT
In reply to: The thing is

Thank a lot for your help. Unfortunately the powerlink extender is not available here. So either I will go for a normal range extender (as they are cheaper compared to a new router). If that does not work out then maybe a new router. This is all I can do I guess. Cheers.

Collapse -
Cheaper than a new router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2014 7:53 PM PDT
In reply to: The thing is

Last week we had a demo to setup. We used a pair of 20 USD TP Link routers. I know some countries lag in product arrival but yours seems to lag by years.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
If your router+WAP has antennas, watch this video.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2014 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Extend WiFi Range
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?