Computer Help forum

Question

Extend display onto SMARTBoard

by mrclifff / September 1, 2011 4:38 AM PDT

In the past I've used second monitors, projectors, and other smartboards as the secondary display. This allows me to work on email, other projects etc. while my students view a video, notes, or examples.
The problem I am having is when I go to Display Properties - Settings, I don't see the option of choosing monitor 1, monitor 2. It simply reads;

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Extend display onto SMARTBoard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Extend display onto SMARTBoard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Is this a new computer?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 1, 2011 4:43 AM PDT

Or an older one where dual monitors worked before?

Do you only see the settings for one monitor even though both are connected? Or have you not yet connected the 2nd monitor?

Mark

Collapse -
extended display
by mrclifff / September 1, 2011 5:10 AM PDT

This is an older computer from another school, I don't know if dual monitors worked on it before. It is a feature I have used on previous PC's and Laptops.

Collapse -
Ahh, now you have confused me
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 1, 2011 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: extended display

You say you have full use of the Smartboard and it displays what is on your screen.

So, you have both your computer's monitor and the Smartboard hooked up and they both work?

Going back to Display properties > Settings, in the little window above where it says default monitor, can you see two monitors displayed (one will be fainter than the other), or is there just one?

If two, highlight the 2nd one.

Or, where it says "default Monitor on NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430", can you 'pull down' the list for that window to select the 2nd one?

From what you say everything is working fine and your terminology is right, Extended Display or Extended Desktop both work for me.

I'm just checking mine, but I am on Win 7 so the dialog pages/windows are different. But on my equivalent of Settings, I see a "Detect" button. Does your XP have that?

Alternatively, I wonder if your NVidia video card has it's own control panel for video and monitor settings. I know my older Dell XP system has. I can right click the Desktop and there is an NVidia option there, or I also have a Startup folder and shortcut for NVidia.

Mark

Collapse -
by mrclifff / September 1, 2011 7:01 AM PDT

They both work...whatever I do on my desktop shows up on the smart board, and vice versa

<div>There is just default monitor, no drop down menus, nothing to select. I don't see a "detect" button using XP
</div>

Collapse -
That's not an extended Desktop then
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 1, 2011 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

it is just a mirrored display.

I would read Steven's post below and consider what he says.

Mark

Collapse -
That's a fine clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2011 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: extended display

That if this does have the feature the person who installed the OS may have forgotten a driver. Check their work or use some USB to Video adapter.
Bob

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Does the old PC have two video outputs or
by Steven Haninger / September 1, 2011 5:53 AM PDT

is it one output going into the little black box that distributes the signal simultaneously to the monitor and SMARTboard? If you've only one video out of the PC, that's the cause. If you've two video ports, one has probably been disabled. If there's an on board video port and an add in card, the on board card may be disabled in the BIOS. If you've a dual head video card, I'd check device manager for the disabled port. It will show up in red.

Collapse -
by mrclifff / September 1, 2011 7:10 AM PDT

I didn't think about that...I have <span>one VGA port with a dual splitter cable. I assumed that using a splitter cable ( 1 into 2) would enable me to use the smartboard as a second monitor. I now feel that is not the case as the tower is projecting one display onto 2 monitors...
<span>

<span>Is my only option to get a second VGA port?
<span>

<span>Is there a USB to VGA Cable that would allow me to extend my desktop?

Collapse -
That video card.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 1, 2011 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

Me again, just wondering.

Your video card NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430, appears to support dual or multiple monitors;
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/page/gpu_mobo_features.html#gf6nf4

Are you sure you only have one video port on this system? Is there a DVI port as well? If so, does this Smartboard use a VGA connection or a DVI connection?

If this system does have a DVI port, but the Smartboard only has a VGA connector, then you can get a VGA to DVI adapter.

If you do only have one video port then you can't have dual monitors in the way you wish. The splitter is the only way.

Mark

Collapse -
If I'm correct here
by Steven Haninger / September 1, 2011 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: That video card.

The SMARTboard vga output goes to an LCD projector. There's a USB connection from the PC to the back of the board itself and software on the PC is needed to fully use it. I've some verrryyyy limited exposure to getting these things to work...most of which is crawling into ceilings and opening wall boxes to get connections right. The ones at the school where my wife works have a powered black box that attaches to the PC's VGA port and will split, and I suppose, buffer the signal.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?