Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Ext Hi-Speed Modem vs Computer Modem Speed

by Dominick Uli / January 23, 2008 7:18 AM PST

I have high speed DSL (400-600 Mbps) comming into my house on the phone line to a high speed DSL modem which uses an eithernet cable. I had the ATT rep check this. When he hooked his computer up to the line he got 400 Mbps. When I hook up my Toshiba Satellite I get a solid 100 Mbps. When I hook the modem to my Netgear wireless router, my wife gets 400 Mbps on her computer. I can not find what is blocking my computer from getting 400 Mbps.
I have uninstalled all programs from running on my computer and removed all pop-up blockers.

Anyone got any suggestions???

Dominick

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ext Hi-Speed Modem vs Computer Modem Speed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ext Hi-Speed Modem vs Computer Modem Speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You SURE It's 400 Mbps? Not Kbps????
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 23, 2008 7:43 AM PST

I've not seen such a thing. Even Fiber Optic speeds are generally in the 5 - 20+ Mbps range.. If you're truly getting 400 Mbps then the 100 Mbps may be a limit of your ethernet card.. Or maybe you mean Kbps.. In our area, our "slow/half speed" DSL is 785 Kbps and we go up from there.. For example, my home currently uses 3000 Kbps (3.0 Mbps) and some are quite a bit faster..

Still, you want to get the maximum out of your connection so I'll ask:

1. Which operating system are you using on the laptop and are you connecting it through a "wired" connection?

2. Have you visited the Windows update site and installed all the Windows Updates that apply?

3. Have you scanned your computer for malware/spyware/viruses using multiple different tools?

4. If a wired connection, have you tried updating your ethernet drivers on the computer? If a wireless connection, update the wireless adapater.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Elementary Dear Watson
by Jimmy Greystone / January 23, 2008 7:45 AM PST

Elementary Dear Watson, your computer does not have a gigabit ethernet controller while your wife's does.

And I would agree that you need to double check your units there. You'd have to be plugged directly into an Internet backbone to get 400Mbps, and if you could afford that, you could afford to have your own private full-time IT staff on hand to handle these things for you.

Collapse -
More Than Capable
by sunwatcher / January 23, 2008 8:18 AM PST

While your connection speed to your DSL router is indicated at 100Mbps, the actual DSL line capacity (your internet download speed) is probably no more than 5 to 10Mbps. Your computer's NIC is more than capable of handling your highest download speed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!