Camcorders forum

General discussion

exporting to sony camcorder from computer via firewire

by principal8 / November 9, 2007 12:12 AM PST

I can import video into the computer via firewire with my sony camcorder dcr-hc85. I can also export from my computer to my camcorder using the audio-visual jack. The issue I have with this is the video quality is somewhat compromised. In the sony shows another alternative to exporting to the camcorder using an i-link or firewire. It doesn't appear to work. What am I doing wrong?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: exporting to sony camcorder from computer via firewire
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: exporting to sony camcorder from computer via firewire
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This depends on the software used.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2007 12:21 AM PST

As you didn't list it, I can't comment further.

Collapse -
exporting ppt file to camcorder
by Jeannie13 / November 9, 2007 7:29 AM PST

I do powerpoint slideshows set to music. I spend a lot of time tweaking the music so it is synchronized to the slideshow. To preserve the timing of the slideshow with the music...I find if I convert it from a ppt to a slideshow stays in sync to the music. The only drawback is some picture degradation. convert the ppt to video, I have the ppt run while the camcorder's av video cable is connected to the s- cable connection at the back of the computer. Copies fine. However...I want to use the i-link instead...but it doesn't work. On pg 93 fo the claims the i-link works just as well as the av video cable. But I can't get the i-link connection to copy onto the camcorder. I am currently on a pc with xp. I've been exporting ppt file to my camcorder for about 3 years using the av video cable. It's time to do it with i-link.

What other specifics do you need to know?

Collapse -
What to know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2007 8:17 AM PST

The VIDEO EDITING SYSTEM you are using. Such as Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas, etc. Once you have your video in such, that is where you might see an option to upload it back to a miniDV camcorder. But I see no mention of your software so I won't research it further.

Collapse -
Your post does not makes sense to me.
by boya84 / November 9, 2007 7:28 AM PST

Though I do agree that knowing what software you are using would definitely help. Knowing what computer hardware you are using would be really helpful, too.

There are at least four ports on the miniDV based camcorder. One is for power... the others:

The AV port is normally used with a cable that came with the camcorder that plugs into the camcorder on one side and has a yellow RCA jack for video - and a red (right - or mono) and white (left ) RCA jacks for audio. This is normally used to connect the camcorder directly to a TV to send signals from the camcorder to the TV (or VCR). This can sometimes (depending on the camcorder) be used to connect a VCR or other video source to get signals IN to the camcorder. This is an analog signal. Yes, the video will not look very good if this is the transfer method used.

The USB port is normally used with a cable that came with the camcorder that plugs into the camcorder on one side and the computer's USB port. This would be used to transfer stills from the camcorder's memory card.

The DV port is normally used with a cable that was purchased separately from the camcorder because the camciorder manufacturers typically do not include this cable in the box with the camcorder. Firewire, i.Link, IEEE1394 are all the same thing. This connection is used to transfer movies from the miniDV tape to or from the camcorder or to or from the computer. Apple Macintosh computers have had Firewire ports for years - Most traditional windows machines do not include a Firewire port - though it is starting to become a little more common. Generally speaking, however, a Firewire/i.Link/IEEE1394 port would need to be added to the Windows machine.

If the video was shot using SP mode on the camcorder, it is possible that the video will not look very good. It is recommended that the LP setting on the camcorder be used when capturing video to miniDV tape. It is also recommended that miniDV tape not be re-used. Once the tape has recordered video, look the tape, mark it using the included tape labels and a pen... and use a new tape.

Collapse -
Isn't it the other way around?
by whizkid454 / November 9, 2007 8:51 AM PST

Isn't SP the recommended record mode?

Collapse -
oops - yup - you are right
by boya84 / November 9, 2007 8:54 AM PST

good catch, whizkid... I'm 50... I'll claim old age.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?