Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Exporting the address book

I am running XP SP2.

When I try to export my address book from OE to a cd I get the message:

You do not have permission to save this directory.
See the administrator for permission.

Seeing that I am the recorded administrator, does anyone know of certain settings that prevent me from exporting the address book even though I am the administrator.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Exporting the address book
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Exporting the address book
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you tried....

In reply to: Exporting the address book

exporting your add book as a .csv file, and then use your CD burning program to save to disk?

Collapse -
Hi Michael..

In reply to: Have you tried....

I just did it by saving in My Documents and then burning to disc. However, I cannot open it from the disc and get the message:

The address book file has been locked by another application. Please close the other application and try again later.

I can transfere the address book from the cd, and as I don't need to read it while on the cd that is no real handicap. But it would be nice to know the cause of the two problems.

Thanks

Collapse -
While the message is expected, here's why.

In reply to: Hi Michael..

Said file can not be on read-only media or on CD. Copy it to the hard disk, uncheck the READONLY checkbox to use it.

Not a bug.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Bob.

In reply to: While the message is expected, here's why.

Collapse -
The Import /Export wizard, which is found.....

In reply to: Hi Michael..

on the File menu of OE (assuming this is what you are using), can be set to save the exported file with a .csv extension. You would simply use the Import function of that wizard to reincorporate the address book. Here's the company line:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=175017

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.