PC Applications forum

General discussion

Exporting From Great Plains to Excel

by WillCa30 / February 25, 2010 9:44 PM PST

At work I needed some information on my department's budget so I went to fiscal services where they printed me out a "Detailed Trial Balance" report from Great Plains. I then asked if I could possibly have that report in excel form so I could work with the data. I personally do not want to have to spend the time to enter it in AGAIN. I was told that Great Plains cannot export into excel. I kind of find this hard to believe. I was also told that "maybe we need an extra module for that and we don't have it" Anyone familiar with this software that can give me some insight? Sorry but I don't know the version.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Exporting From Great Plains to Excel
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Exporting From Great Plains to Excel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: export from Great Plains to Excel
by Kees Bakker / February 25, 2010 9:51 PM PST
Collapse -
Don't ask for "excel form"
by ChuckT / February 26, 2010 4:04 AM PST

This is what I found:
Microsoft Business Solutions?Great Plains now known as "Microsoft Dynamics GP" is a full-featured business management solution that streamlines and automates financial, manufacturing, and supply chain management.

I think someone answered your question exactly (to be able to export to Excel form, IE .xls), without giving you a possible option. The option is to try and put the data out as a CSV (Comma Separated Value) format file. That is just the plain column and rows data (all formatting is lost).

Collapse -
Using Excel with Great Plains
by piers.harwood / April 18, 2010 9:38 PM PDT

There are a number of products that connect Excel directly to Great Plains via a data management system. The products enable you to create dynamic spreadsheets that update both as the source data changes and also if you change any variables in the spreadsheet such as department codes or date ranges without impacting the report layout. Furthermore you can drill into specific cells in the spreadsheet to see the transactions making up the balance in the cells.

If you need more information please don't hesitate to contact me:

I hope this is of help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?