Computer Help forum

General discussion

Export-Import Address Book

by Rod2 / July 1, 2004 9:48 AM PDT

I have printed and read the procedure from MS. It's saved as a cvs file. It's being transfered from a ME computer to XP via a CD. I have used a floppy as well. XP never finds it. It's shown when I open in my doccuments as a MS Word file. When I open my docs from the import feature it only shows folders, not any text files. So I created a folder. It shows the folder but nothing is there. It is however if I open it direct without using the import feature. What to do?

Next problem, How do you get the system to expand programs? As in show all files and folders. It will with some but not all.

Last but not least I want to put shortcuts on the desk top task bar. I tried the drap and drop but it doesn't allow it. If the program would put one there no problem, but rarely they do.

Thanks, I've only had this for a day, so newer isn't necessiarly better. A lot of difference's.
Maybe there is a website that shows little tricks to make it more user friendly?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Export-Import Address Book
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Export-Import Address Book
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Export-Import Address Book
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 1, 2004 10:17 AM PDT

Rod,

1. I think you mean it's a .csv file and the easiest way to import the file into your Favorites is to name the file "bookmark.csv" and place it in the default "My Documents" folder for your username. There should be no requirement to open the folder as the location of the import file will be correct. The use of any other name or location will require a change when you get to importing the file to Favorites.

2. To "Show All Files" in WinXP, RIGHT click on the Start button, choose "Explore" from the menu. When that loads, click on the "Tools" menu in the upper left, choose "Folder Options". When that loads, click on the "View" button and place a dot/tick in "Show Hidden Files and Folder" and UNCHECK the box next to "Hide Protected Operating System Files". You may also choose to UNCHECK the "Hide known file extensions" option. Click on "Apply", then OK, if you've made any changes.

3. Which deskop "Task Bar" are you referring to? The "Quicklaunch" bar at the bottom left? If so, you'll need to enable the Quicklaunch bar by RIGHT clicking on the bottom taskbar, choose "Toolbars", then select "Quicklaunch". Once that's enabled, you should be able drag and drop shortcuts to it.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Export-Import Address Book
by Rod2 / July 1, 2004 10:58 AM PDT

Thanks Griff,

Yes, it was a .cvs file. I don't get the part of my favorites. I exported that file for IE 6 and didn't have a problem. I want it for OE address book. At any rate name it bookmark.cvs. Is that the actual name in the box above the type of file extension .cvs? Then I just put it in my doccuments and OE finds it automatic. Just checking so that I'm on the same page as you are. Well I never will be but that's beside the point.

Thanks again,

Rod

Collapse -
Rod, It's CSV - Comma Separated Value
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 1, 2004 1:38 PM PDT

And I'm sorry as I gave you information for importing "Favorites". You're importing an Address book file instead of "Favorites" so the name you use for the file is irrelevant, except that it must have a .csv file extension. (NOT .cvs) On my computer, in "My Documents", the file's name is "GrifsContacts.csv". Although it is a simple text file, on some computers, Microsoft Word is the default program associated with it so the file will have a Word icon. On other computers it may be an Excel icon or maybe even a Notepad icon. It's not important.

Once you place the file in the "My Documents" folder, then open Outlook Express, click on "File", then choose "Import". When the next window loads, choose "Other Address book". Next, choose "Text File (Comma Separated Values) and click on the "Import" button. The next window says to "Choose a File to import". Click the "Browse" button and in the next window, make sure the bottom line for "Files of Type" says "Comma Separated Values", then navigate to the "My Documents" folder and when you find your file, double click on it to return to the previous window and the path to your file will be listed. Click "Next" and you'll be given options to select the "Fields" that you're going to use in the Contacts" portion of OUtlook Express. It's your choice, but I select "First Name", "Last Name", "Name", "Nickname" and "E-mail Address". Then click the "Finish" button.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Rod, It's CSV - Comma Separated Value
by Rod2 / July 1, 2004 2:34 PM PDT

Sorry in my confusion, I meant .csv. BTW I tried using outlook express to import but it did not show the file in my doccuments. It's the strangest thing I've ever seen. I took an alternate approach. I used the converter in MS works, it picked it up and was installed. All is well in the desert once again.

This XP isn't very organized as yet. I'm sure I need to learn more but it has been confusing as a start. Thanks again I really appreciate the help. Now off to find how to enlarge my text. It was simple in ME, but I'll find it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?