Laptops forum

General discussion

Explorer will not open

by gk200852 / June 15, 2007 8:24 AM PDT

Acer 17" 9410Z Intel Pentium Dual Core Windows Vista Premium / New in Feburary

HELP! I cannot get any browser to open. I've tried my Comcast home page, Yahoo, TV guide, etc. Was working fine for 5 months. I have turned off the firewall and that did not work. It is not the connection. The same cable and hookup works fine on my 7 year old desktop. Probably something in the Tools / Internet Options area, but I just cant figure it out. I would like to uninstall a screensaver that I recently installed, but can't find it!! Also I did some Windows updates just before this happened. I want to uninstall one that failed then worked. It could be the problem, but there is not a tab to uninstall it.It was an optional download concerning the Intel Chipset. Is there a way to find the default settings for all the Internet, Firewall, Security, etc. settings? Some do have a default option, but most not in the advanced area.
Thanks in advance for any tips!!

Jerry

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Explorer will not open
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Explorer will not open
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try a system restore back to before all that happened.
by retired / June 15, 2007 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Explorer will not open

Start
Programs
accessories
system tools
system restore.

Collapse -
Thanks
by gk200852 / June 15, 2007 11:47 AM PDT

Pretty sure I did that. It said there were no restore points. I will try again wqhen I get home from work tonight.

Thanks!

Jerry

Collapse -
restore
by orlbuckeye / June 15, 2007 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

With Vista you have to do system restore from the safe mode menu. Hit F8 when booting and then select restore from restore point. I would try it if there aren't any restore point it will tell you.

Collapse -
Safe Mode
by gk200852 / June 15, 2007 2:29 PM PDT
In reply to: restore

I'll give that (safe mode) a try in a couple of hours.

Thanks,

Jerry

Collapse -
STILL WONT OPEN
by gk200852 / June 16, 2007 8:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Safe Mode

Any other suggestions? Computers says I am connected to the Internet, BUT cannot open Explorer. Dang frustrating!

Jerry

Collapse -
gk200852
by tomron / June 16, 2007 8:47 AM PDT
In reply to: STILL WONT OPEN

Have you run any scans?

Which IE version do you have?

Which other browsers have you tried?

Try this LINK

Tom

Collapse -
More info...
by Papa Echo / June 16, 2007 8:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Explorer will not open

What do you mean "to open " ? Do you get any error messages ? What happens when you click at your browser icon to open it ? Which browsers ? Are you able to open other applications - your word processor, games, etc. ?

Try opening from different places: Desktop, Start Menu, Program Folder, the run command.

Collapse -
Thanks for answers
by gk200852 / June 16, 2007 9:23 AM PDT
In reply to: More info...

"Internet Explorer cannot Display the webpage"

I have run a few scans. I tried Firefox, but cannot get on the Internet, so that was moot. I did just now see some info on the Microsoft Support page that I will try when I get home from work. You people on this forum are GREAT. I'll check back in when I get home at 2330 hrs.

Thanks,

Jerry

Collapse -
...cannot display webpage....
by Papa Echo / June 17, 2007 12:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for answers

Your browser did open, but was not able to connect to the server of the website.

Are you on broadband ? Try rebooting (switch off, wait a few minutes, and switch on.) your DSL (or cable) modem and router. Also switch off your computer during this time. Try going to the web page again. Try also the following: At the Run command (Start>Run) Type in cmd. At the DOS like prompt, type in ipconfig /renew and press {i]Enter. Repeat with iopconfig /flushdns. Note the space between "ipconfig" and "/".

It may also help if you run "WINSOCKFIX" and "IEFIX". Google for them, download and run.

Collapse -
Fixed!
by gk200852 / June 17, 2007 7:56 AM PDT

I got about half way through the list I printed off the Microsoft support page, and my Explorer opened. I think it was either deleting the Form Datas, or when I went through the Network Diagnostic Tool. I learned alot about the deep innards of this laptop. I felt like a surgeon doing my first Brain Operation. Thank you all for the help. I'm sure I'll be back again, and will provide help on a question anytime possible.

Jerry

Collapse -
Same problem, need help
by Nefertiti337 / June 21, 2007 10:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Fixed!

Hey Jerry,
I'm having the exact same problem on a similar machine Acer Aspire 5610 Intel dual core T2060. Mine stopped working the same way and I can't access any pages in IE or Firefox. It says I'm connected and all other machines (one XP, one 2000) work just fine on the same network. It has been out for weeks now.

I tried to find the list on the Microsoft support page you referred to. I coudln't. Do you still have the url?

Nefi

Collapse -
Good Luck
by gk200852 / June 21, 2007 11:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
Acer 5610 problem
by Jsel147 / June 24, 2007 3:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Good Luck

Everytime i restart my computer now, this thing keeps popping up saying, internet explorer is closing and it keeps doing it and i cant access anything on my computer i think there is a virus, does anybody know what i can do to solve this its so aggravating.

Collapse -
Delete History
by gk200852 / June 25, 2007 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Acer 5610 problem

First thing to try: Click Tools and go into Delete Browsing History. Do each separately, especially the Form Data one. Try the link above I posted, or google Microsoft Support. Good luck.

Jerry

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?