Computer Help forum

General discussion

Explorer takes incredibly long to find "My computer"

by hellochar / March 27, 2007 10:22 AM PDT

Whenever I attempt to open My Computer, the browser will look for it for a very long time (1-2 minutes), and then finally either find it or just give me a blank screen. Also, when attempting to open iTunes and Paint, it takes a long time to open the applications. Finding the folders through explorer takes no time, but opening the applications themselves does.

I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2. It is manufactured by eMachines, T6520.

Also: In System properties, it seems that my PC is named "potato", although I haven't given it a name. Is that bad?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Explorer takes incredibly long to find "My computer"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Explorer takes incredibly long to find "My computer"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hellochar
by tomron / March 27, 2007 11:25 AM PDT

Have you run any anti virus and anti spyware scans?

Collapse -
Explorer too long to find my computer
by apb1 / March 30, 2007 12:35 PM PDT

Do you have any mapped drives or network devices that are not available when you are exploring my computer? If so, try detaching them.

Collapse -
Hard drive storage is at it maximum capacity.
by Robeuzt / March 30, 2007 12:50 PM PDT

You need a bigger hard drive. Some of your files are to large for your hard drive

Collapse -
My Experience with Slow My Computer Discovery
by bjrobertson / March 30, 2007 10:48 PM PDT

I have encountered the same very slow discovery/display of My Computer, i.e., showing hard drives, floppy, DVD's, Control Panel and Shared Documents. Most times the problem is related to fancy HP printer/scanner/fax software related to a shared or network aware printer. If you have them, try uninstalling and see what happens.

I have also experienced very slow response (like minutes vs. a few seconds) while opening the internal web page of my router or DSL modem. I found it was caused by McAfee Internet Security Suite 7.2 Spam or Privacy applications. If either of them were installed it would take literally 3-5 minutes for the router web page to display.

You might think about that as well.

Roger

Collapse -
It worked!
by rplcarneiro / August 8, 2013 1:49 AM PDT

I did uninstalled all the HP programs and it worked!

TKS, bjrobertson!

Collapse -
I also have problems with Explorer...
by GinaPA / March 31, 2007 4:10 AM PDT

I sat up when I read your post because I am also running XP "Media Edition" on my laptop and MANY times when opening Windows Explorer, after a delay, I will get the ol' dialog box telling me Explorer has to close due to a problem. I have just ran my anti-virus and 2 malware programs (again) and everything is fine. My problem has been going on ever since I got this computer, which was about a year ago. I am using a wireless router to connect to the internet and I also installed an HP photo program, although I haven't used this particular photo program on this computer in ages (if at all).

Could my problem possibly be fixed by trying the same things that have been suggested in regards to hellochar's blank screen problem, or would my problem indicate an entirely different situation??? I'd appreciate any help that CNET members can offer. It is very annoying!

Thanks.......Gina

Collapse -
finally the problem solved!!
by 111dragon / April 30, 2007 11:21 PM PDT

I had the same problem for a few weeks

Nothing to do with virus, harddisk, etc.

I solved the problem by setting the DCOM launcher to manual.

Just go to adminstrator's tool - service and set it.

Collapse -
(NT) Check the Event Viewer to see any hints
by neddychan / May 1, 2007 3:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
Fixed
by hellochar / May 1, 2007 7:42 AM PDT

Ok, I could not solve the problem and ended up reformatting my computer. I then happened to install the HP set of printers, which were quite interesting. Specifically, the Share-to-Web Upload Folder. I did not really want an icon on my desktop, so I right-clicked it... and the computer froze - for the same duration as the time it took to find My Computer before the reformat.
Before I had re-formatted, I had used that "desktop cleanup wizard" and moved some icons into a folder, which I then stored away somewhere.
In conclusion, the error came from the HP Share-to-Web Upload Folder. I have yet to try and delete it, but something tells me it will take the same amount of time.

Collapse -
How I resolved the problem
by Necromancer44 / August 25, 2009 4:27 AM PDT

For me, the cause was a rootkit virus/trojan that was not being detected by my usual antivirus software (symantec norton). I downloaded and installed Malwarebytes Antimalware (an advanced virus detection program that detects rootkits) and it detected it and removed it for free. The flashlight problem and related symptoms were fixed after a reboot. I highly recommend you try it if your regular antivirus is not detecting anything because it may be missing it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?