Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Explorer shuts down...like it or not!

by Doug / December 14, 2004 12:53 AM PST

I downloaded an update to a small program. Then I went into "My Downloads", right clicked, clicked on Send To, clicked on my A drive, it gave me the screen about the file was already there and all the info about its size and date. When I clicked on the button to replace the old with the new file I got the yellow triangle with the exclimation mark saying "Explorer has caused an error in <unknown>. Explorer will now close. It goes on to say that if you contunue to have the problem just reboot; whick I did several times and still had the same problem. I tried going through Windows Explorer by dragging it onto my A drive and got the same error.

How can you fix it whith the "error in <unknown>."

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Explorer shuts down...like it or not!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Explorer shuts down...like it or not!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Explorer shuts down...like it or not!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2004 1:39 AM PST

You didn't share what program this was, it's web site and more.

But if you want to press your luck, MOVEONBOOT can delete the file in the target directory, as well as move it on another boot.

No one knows the end result yet.

Bob

Collapse -
Explorer shuts down...like it or not!
by Doug / December 14, 2004 2:07 PM PST

I do not know what MOVEONBOOT is. I was trying to copy a program from My Downloads (QikFix from Easy Desk software), on my desktop, to my A drive by right clicking and using Send To. But I don't think it makes much difference what the program is because I tried to use Windows Explorer to move another file from one pane to another by clicking on it in the right-hand pane and dragging it to my A drive in the left-hand pane. . .got the same error message.

Collapse -
Let me introduce google.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2004 8:14 PM PST

When you see a CAPITALIZED word in many posts here, or a reference to software that you don't know about, use http://www.google.com to find it.

It's my choice to guide but not hand out step by step solutions.

Bob

Collapse -
Let me introduce.....
by Doug / December 15, 2004 2:11 AM PST

How sweet of you!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!