Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Explorer running slow ..... really everything is

by blandkid / December 27, 2007 12:24 PM PST

OK .... lets get it out I just got a new Dell....yeah yeah I know! But for the price you cant beat it, or so I thought! But it is running so so so slow. I need help!

Internet Explorer really seems to be running the slowest and having the biggest issues, but to be honest all programs seem to have difficult or they get stuck.

Explorer will take forever to get started or to open a new site. Some time the screen goes completely black and the address box at the top becomes abnormally large as if it was in safe mode. It will eventually go back to normal and open the web site.

I am looking for any suggestions. I am not running any other programs when this happens, other than programs that run auto.

I have a dell inspiron 1520
I run my Internet on a wireless system.
I have a 140 GB hardrive (with only 13gb free)
2.0 GhZ dual core processor
2046 MB of RAM.

I ran a speed test to test my internet connection here are the results:http://www.speedtest.net/result/216036948.png

Any suggestions please ... this is driving me nuts!

Also ... I feel like I should have way more free space on my hard drive. Any suggestions about that would be appreciated too!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Explorer running slow ..... really everything is
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Explorer running slow ..... really everything is
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
140 GB hardrive (with only 13gb free)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2007 1:19 AM PST

There's the clue. "140 GB hardrive (with only 13gb free)"

Vista has this feature where it's going to index all 127GB so SEARCH (might) works. What I found is that Vista likes to be left on for a day after we install everything so it's indexer gets done.

I have yet to find the kill switch for this.

Bob

Collapse -
Indexing...
by John.Wilkinson / December 28, 2007 1:35 AM PST

By default Vista should only index C:\Users, omitting all of the Windows files, programs, etc. I've still found it to be horribly inefficient, though, so it's not a bad idea to customize it through Control Panel\System and Maintenance\Indexing Options. You can also disable the Windows Search service to ease the performance draw.

John

Collapse -
I wonder about that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2007 2:03 AM PST
In reply to: Indexing...

While its documented to do that it doesn't explain why it took about a day for it to finish on a new laptop with just a dozen user files. The hard disk was busy for about a day. It still takes an hour for vista to stop looking.

Later I have to see if FILEMON is vista compatible to peek under the hood to see what it's up to.

Bob

Collapse -
It's worse here...
by John.Wilkinson / December 28, 2007 5:40 AM PST
In reply to: I wonder about that.

It took three days to fully index my documents and e-mails alone (no multimedia), and even after repeatedly attempting to force it to rebuild the index it still refuses to acknowledge the renaming and moving of countless files. As with XP, I've given up on it. Works for some, but not for me.

John

-> Filemon hasn't been updated for Vista, but seems to work just the same.

Collapse -
Several thoughts...
by John.Wilkinson / December 28, 2007 1:21 AM PST

1.) The abnormally large display that returns to normal sounds like a potential driver issue. Identify your graphics card and download the latest driver updates from the card's manufacturer.

2.) Install/run BHODemon to disable/remove any/all unnecessary Browser Helper Objects installed for IE.

3.) Identify your internet security software, as some have known issues and/or settings that need to be disabled.

4.) Review this sticky post to track down all of your missing hard drive space. 13GB is far too little unless you've been ripping your CD/DVD collection to it.

5.) Press ctrl + alt + Esc to launch the Task Manager, then watch the Performance tab. Jot down the RAM (first column second row graph) and Paging File ("System" text box shows used/total) usage, and watch for any CPU spikes. The Process tab can give you an idea of what program's using the most resources.

6.) It might not hurt to run Memtest86, just in case you have a case of faulty RAM. Not common for a new Dell system, but it's worth checking nevertheless.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
And Have You Tried?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 28, 2007 4:15 AM PST

...simply shutting down some of those unnecessary background services that don't need to be running at startup.. Click on the link below, look to the chart in the middle of the page and change your services to the "Safe" column, at least..:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!