Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Explorer.exe using abnormal amounts of memory/cpu

Hello everyone. I'm not sure how this happened but explorer.exe is using over 4,000,000 K memory and randomly spikes my cpu (usually from 25-65%). The memory slowly builds up to that point and falls then comes up again (currently at about 2,000,000 K). There are also multiple instances of this process (one is more normal size), though both come from the same location in the Windows folder so it appears they are both legit. I recently installed all important windows updates (after this started) and restarted my computer twice. Earlier today I had the same issue except with iexplore.exe. I kept ending process from task manager, and it kept coming back. Since I don't use IE (chrome xD), I decided to delete the files (after going through getting permissions from trusted installer funfunfun). Then this started up. I'm guessing manually deleting IE caused an issue, but I think the actual problem is a virus. I have an Inspiron 5720 (8 GB ram, I7 2.1 GHz processor, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit). Please help if you can sorry for the info blob. If nobody responds soon I'll be on tomorrow to run any tests/give more info if need be. Thank you for your time

cardmast3r has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Explorer.exe using abnormal amounts of memory/cpu
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Explorer.exe using abnormal amounts of memory/cpu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by cardmast3r

Collapse -
Re: Explorer

In reply to: Explorer.exe using abnormal amounts of memory/cpu

Manually deleting things like you did isn't a good idea. Moreover, you don't say what you deleted ("the files"). Explorer acting up can be some add-on (shell extension), unless - as you think - it's related to what you deleted.

What I would do:
- system restore back to before this started
- scan the system using 2 different cd based antivirus tools
- run system file checker, as described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
If that doesn't help, it might be time to go back to factory conditions.

Kees

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Explorer

I completed the system restore to about a week ago and ran system file checker, which did fix some files. Now I have the original issue again though. iexplore.exe takes a large amount of my cpu and my memory. After a while there are two instances of it and I've seen up to 4. There are also 5 chrome processes, even though i only have this tab open. Everytime I end process/end process tree on iexplore it reboots within 30 secs. 14 processes called ctfmon appear right after iexplore reopens, and then disappear soon after. I have no idea what to do. I'm currently running Mcafee full scan to see if I find anything else, but that'll take a while. I also don't have any cd based antivirus tools, so let me know if I should bother with that.

Collapse -
Remember McAfee is also a source of such troubles.

In reply to: reply

As that is widely discussed I won't duplicate that here. Be sure to scan as Grif advises at http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6122_102-5509131.html?tag=posts;msg5509131 since antivirus companies have failed to protect against browser infections like Conduit.

The going thought here is the lawsuit brought against the antivirus companies from said companies. "How dare you call my software a virus?"
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you sir!

In reply to: Remember McAfee is also a source of such troubles.

Found the PUP.OPTION files in the malwarebytes and superantispyware scans (took a few hours though). I also got rid of a lot of adware cookies. Thank you so much! And yeah. McAfee sucks. Got it.

Collapse -
Answer
I spoke too soon...

In reply to: Explorer.exe using abnormal amounts of memory/cpu

Took much longer than normal this time but iexplore.exe is back. Still using half my cpu. Is there anything else I can do? I'm currently running malwarebytes again just to try something, but I'm pretty sure it won't work. I followed all of the instructions that were provided.

Collapse -
Re: iexplore.exe

In reply to: I spoke too soon...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.