From my archives:
System Restore Not Working?
I know the frustration about System Restore. You'll read thread after thread about this FRAGILE feature of Windows ME. The following is a collection of notes about fixing System Restore and what might interfere with System Restore (SR.)
To people trying to surf safely, firewall software such as Zone Alarm has stopped restore points from being created. If you've added such recently, disable such and see if the restore points are working again. Report this to the vendors/makers/authors so they will fix it.
Let's cover a few items?
1. The September 8, 2001 patch.
MS KB Q 290700 - "Checkpoints That You Create After September 8,2001 Do Not Restore Your Computer"
2. A rather LENGTHY article with many links and more articles on fixing System Restore.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q306768"> Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows Millennium Edition
The information in this article applies to: Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
This article was previously published under Q306768
3. How to use the SCANREG /RESTORE in Windows ME
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/trouble/INDEX.HTM"> Look down the page here
4. PARASITES. These can no longer be tolerated. Let me state that your antivirus does not detect/remove all PARASITES! I consider SPYWARE, ADWARE, VIRUS and TROJANS to be lumped into a category I call parasites. Symantec has yet to WAKE UP! to the spyware/adware parasite issue.
Parasite removal programs.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0 notes the five scanning tools and removal tools that are fairly safe. If one does encounter an issue, its always been damage done by the MALWARE. The most common issue being Layered Service Provider replacement which you can use LSPFIX (Hint: use http://www.google.com to find).
The thread has follow on discussions about new links if you don't want to use Google to find an item.
5. The new menace. KAZAA borne virus. A big uptick over the last month of machines showed up with KAZAA and some trojan/virus that I think was brought in with KAZAA. The upshot of all this work was to remove the PARASITES, along with KAZAA and hope the machine would stabilize (most did.) A few were quite damaged so the OS was reinstalled.
PS. All the tools are free.
Working on friends computer... WindowsME, Recently infected with Beagle virus. Have cleaned all with Norton, but the explorer.exe and spool32.exe are infected (winupd). I have no boot disk and there is no past "restore point" for system restore. Copies of these files are in C:\windows\system\sfp\archive and are not noted to be infected. How can I restore these two files?