HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Explorer.exe does not load at startup?

by otakusempai / July 3, 2011 4:45 AM PDT

At startup, instead of loading the Explorer shell, my computer loads the
File Manager window! I tried going to Task Manager - File - New
Task, wrote EXPLORER.EXE and the same thing happened: the File Manager
(Explorer) window pops up, instead of the Taskbar and Desktop!

How can I fix this?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Explorer.exe does not load at startup?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Explorer.exe does not load at startup?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Some malware hijacks the SHELL= entry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2011 5:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Please Try This..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 3, 2011 8:35 AM PDT

If your desktop loads at all, then the problem occurred because the malware caused an issue with explorer.exe and the registry keys associated with it.. If that's the case, then RIGHT click on the link below, choose "Save As", then save the file to your desktop.. Once there, double click on it and choose "yes/OK", when it asks to "merge" the file to your registry. This registry file should fix the basic windows shell registry keys.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/reg/shell.reg

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Fresh reinstall
by otakusempai / July 4, 2011 11:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Please Try This..

Thank you all for the replies!

I tried the registry key, but it didn't work. The thing is that Explorer.exe was mistaken for the file manager, not the shell.

I was in process of cleaning up the malware using the advice on Bob's link, and I found qite a lot of malware, but eventually some other thing came up and I just decided to do a fresh reinstall, something I haven't done in like 4 years. Everything is running smoothly now, and some past problems I had with certain software are all gone now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.