Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Explorer EXE

by vera kofler / October 16, 2004 7:36 AM PDT

trying to use the search option explorer closes and the problem says C/docume 1/config 1temp/WER 3.tmp dir 00/appcompat.txt
AMD Athlon(tm)XP2200
1.80GHZ
480 Ram

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Explorer EXE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Explorer EXE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Explorer EXE
by Papa Echo / October 16, 2004 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Explorer EXE

what search option what were you searching for please provide more information help us to help you

Collapse -
by vera kofler / October 16, 2004 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Explorer EXE

search option from windows XP search files and folders the third option its, start -run-search - help and technical support etc

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / October 16, 2004 6:42 PM PDT

Was that the exact error message ? Try copy and paste: place the mouse cursor at the beginning of the message,right click hold down 'SHIFI', and move the cursor to the end of the message, right click again. Release 'SHIFT' The selected message will be highlighted. Press Ctrl+C, and go the the Forum message box, where you press Ctrl+V to get the message into the box. Proceed normally.

Collapse -
by vera kofler / October 16, 2004 8:38 PM PDT

cant copy the exact error because IT SAYS EXPLORER EXE HAS DETECTED AN ERROR AND MUST CLOSE, so it closes explorer, on mode name its user32dll
have posted before, and have to check out errors on my system because just 2 days ago had my motherboard changed for a new one which allso failed chaged again, all in a comp shop, have new processor, new ram new power source and the comp has been just reformated

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / October 17, 2004 1:22 AM PDT

It appears that you are using a non-English version of Windows XP. Your description is not clear, - sorry. Go back to that shop and let them fix the problem.

Collapse -
by vera kofler / October 16, 2004 10:17 PM PDT

Aplicaci

Collapse -
by vera kofler / October 17, 2004 1:55 AM PDT

Im going to try again its spanish
application with errors: explorer exe vertion 6.0.2800.1106.with error:user 32.dll,vertion 5.1.2600.1561,error address 0x0000a6ad

Collapse -
use the search option explorer closes and the problem
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2004 2:32 AM PDT

This is another issue where SPYWARE can corrupt the search. It's a pretty safe bet that the machine has spyware.

Get rid of the spyware, and if you think it's gone, post your HIJACKTHIS log to prove to us its gone. So far, I've yet to find anyone win this bet.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: use the search option explorer closes and the problem
by vera kofler / October 17, 2004 4:47 AM PDT

firs time I'mRunning processe hijackthis so Im sending you this
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Archivos de programa\Archivos comunes\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\Archivos de programa\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\Firewall\PavFires.exe
C:\Archivos de programa\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\pavsrv51.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
C:\Archivos de programa\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\AVENGINE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\VTTimer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RunDll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\ARCHIV~1\INCRED~1\bin\IMAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System\SmWizard.exe
C:\Archivos de programa\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\apvxdwin.exe
C:\Archivos de programa\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\pavProxy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Archivos de programa\eMule\emule.exe
C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Archivos de programa\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
C:\Archivos de programa\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Archivos de programa\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Vera K\Escritorio\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.lanacion.cl/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = V

Collapse -
Please follow the hijack instructions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2004 7:01 AM PDT

1. You didn't follow the instructions about not running other stuff to CLUTTER the log. For example I see WINWORD in there!

2. I think I see MULTIPLE FIREWALLS. Possibly Nortons and Panda's. Doing so is a great way to create pandamonium. (pun intended.) If that isn't Nortons then it's INCREDIMAIL MAIL which I (and others) consider to be spyware. Your choice on the matter but I do not tolerate any spyware.

3. You have Incredimail.

"O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [IncrediMail] C:\ARCHIV~1\INCRED~1\bin\IncMail.exe /c"

Sorry, but I have had too many people show me it failing in very odd ways. Besides it's an information leaker so it's banned at home, office, lab, etc.

4. O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{9A42FA9A-2A2A-4D01-9EA3-10E6119AC1A7}: NameServer = 200.54.0.10 200.54.0.138 looks like someone has hijacked the nameserver.

As it stands, I'd read http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=40493&messageID=474683&tag=srch and post in the forums noted.

I have NOT supplied any item for you to remove. I needed this log file to take a peak to see what may be causing the machine to have problems. From the looks of the log file, there is work to be done. Item 4 is what I find troubling.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Please follow the hijack instructions.
by vera kofler / October 17, 2004 8:30 AM PDT

Well OK didn't know about your instructions,
have a paid Panda whith firewall
Have Incredimail Premium, also a paid programm
Have allso more problems, only after 3 days from the comp shop, programs simply disapeared like DVxplayer, and allso a body Board game that I can not install again it tells me some dll files are missing

Collapse -
Not my instructions...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2004 8:45 AM PDT

Be sure to read them since if you post a log without following THEIR RULES then they may not dig through it. Here's the link to their instructions:

"I ask that you do two things when you post such a log:

(1) Don't post a HijackThis log until you have already done preliminary scanning of your system for parasites. I recommend you go to my Parasite Fight page on this site - http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - and click the "Quick Fix" link to go to the bottom of the page. (Or, just go directly to http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm.) Run all steps indicated, exactly as specified. Make the HJT log your last step, then post it here if you are still having problems.

(2) In your post, please specify what precleaning you have done, and specify the problem that is prompting you to run this log in the first place. "

I hope you understand that these are not my rules and to get the best effect you will find these rules in many places.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Not my instructions...
by vera kofler / October 17, 2004 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Not my instructions...

well here I go, it will be a bit long sorry
spybot-serch & destroy
DSO Exploit 5 Entries
Ad-Aware 6.0
4 files identified
Tracking Cookie low level
CW shredder
your system was completely clean
Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 21:21:40, on 17-10-2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Archivos de programa\Archivos comunes\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\Archivos de programa\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\Firewall\PavFires.exe
C:\Archivos de programa\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\pavsrv51.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
C:\Archivos de programa\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\AVENGINE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\VTTimer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RunDll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System\SmWizard.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Vera K\Escritorio\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.lanacion.cl/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = V

Collapse -
Explorer EXE
by vera kofler / October 17, 2004 10:50 AM PDT

went to the search option and only if I search for all files and folders explorer get closed if I go to the other options there are no problems it work's

Collapse -
Looks better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2004 10:54 AM PDT

But you need to post that in the forums noted in my response as well as the apcompat.txt contents.

Remember that since you have elected to keep Incredimail it's my experience that such machines do go unstable and you need to seek Incredimail support. I can't fix their problems. Sorry.

Let me be clear. I do wish you the best of luck fixing it, but with Incredimail in the mix, there is no way I can assure anyone that it will ever work proper. This software has upset many since it will work on some machines, cause issues with others... And the question always is... "Why?"

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Looks better.
by vera kofler / October 17, 2004 8:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Looks better.

Is computer help one of your forums?

Collapse -
Re: Looks better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2004 9:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Looks better.

Not "mine" but I will pitch in when I can.

Someone mentioned I missed EMULE in the list. That's a fine example of where you need to post in a hijackthis forum where people do this all the time. I only use it to see the usual suspects.

Bob

Collapse -
Have more problems ?
by Papa Echo / October 17, 2004 9:38 AM PDT
Have allso more problems, only after 3 days from the comp shop, programs simply disapeared like DVxplayer, and allso a body Board game that I can not install again it tells me some dll files are missing

Why didn't you mention all your problems right at the beginning post ? They could be inter-related and provide clues towards a solution.
Collapse -
Re: Have more problems ?
by vera kofler / October 17, 2004 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Have more problems ?

I didn't notice it before, this are programmes used by my son he came beware of it

Collapse -
Re: Please follow the hijack instructions.
by dcrewchief / October 17, 2004 9:02 PM PDT

i also see emule which is a p2p file sharing program which is dangerous also

Collapse -
Good point. Missed that one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2004 9:41 PM PDT

I don't see emule too often. And a fine reason to get that log to the suggested forums. Still sad to see Incredimail in the brew. We never could fix it once it went unstable unless we wiped the OS and started over, but something is amiss with that software. Just try their support if you don't believe.

Bob

Collapse -
by vera kofler / October 18, 2004 6:48 AM PDT

can't find temp folders in my comp, I'm with a printed version of how to clean unwanted files from my hard drive and first of all can not acces to start-search-files or folders. (posted by Grif Thomas on 05/11/2004
Looking other way round in "Local settings" folder in XP there is no Temp folder. I do not know if all has to do with Explorer EXE problem I have

Collapse -
Sometimes I don't use Explorer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2004 7:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
by billzhills / October 18, 2004 11:27 PM PDT

Vera

Papa Echo mentioned that non english ver. of XP was installed on your system. This can be confirmed by looking at the XP CD from the computer shop. No CD see->
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/how_types.mspx
Pre-installed Software: When a computer manufacturer takes one copy of software and illegally installs it on more than one computer. Consumers should be on the lookout for proper license documentation when purchasing a new PC, to ensure they're getting what they paid for. For more information on what to look for, visit the COA page.

Incredimail has large questions. ANY P2P applicatiion is suspect. Who or what are you down loading?
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=37597&messageID=440650&tag=
Both are listed, both are problems I have spent uncounted hours attempting to remove Spy-ware/virus from systems that use these applications and others that offer something special for your Internet experence for free.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=37597&messageID=440650&tag=
Also know that viruses/spyware do all they can to destroy your protection, files, applications and O/S.

Not much help I know, All procedures to clear this matter have been posted, I provide this to maybe clarify some of the issues.

Bill

Collapse -
by vera kofler / October 19, 2004 12:23 AM PDT

well yes its the spanish version and its not a new comp only motherboard,ram, power supply and prosesador are new, and the problem with the search option and only when searching files and folders began before I installed Emule and Incredimail is on a Paid software, My question is here again should I formate again, would it help? I installed Mozila firefox as where sugested by you so when I get used to it wont use IE anymore

Collapse -
Incredimail paid or not.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2004 12:25 AM PDT

It's a troublesome piece of software. So far I only see people figure this out after they have suffered for many months. I hope you can find relief sooner than most.

Best of luck and Mozilla/Firefox will help.

bob

Collapse -
by billzhills / October 19, 2004 12:38 AM PDT

vera,

I would uninstall Emule and any P2P Networks, boot to safe mode with network support and run all scans listed. See
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6122-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=33713&messageID=389709

If no joy Run System File Checker.

Incredimail may or may not have to be uninstalled,
save this for last.

Did you ask for a Spanish Ver of Windows?
Call me paranoid... heard too many horror stories about computer shops ...

Components Installed = new system ...

Bill

Collapse -
by vera kofler / October 19, 2004 12:55 AM PDT

Well I don't think you are paranoid, if you see I posted many times in september trying to know what was wrong in my comp, even I remember explaining why I was bothering that much, it was because I don't trust in comp shops either, finnaly I took my comp to one that is more expensive but they told me about 6 month guarnty.
Second may native language is spanish, my son does not sepeak english and here in southamerica its this version the use. And they only use pirata version, only when you buy a new comp you get the original CD
At the shop the thechnitian installed a program called WINDOW WASHER dont know if this caused my problem I could not desable it from control pannel so I went to programs on C and removed it there.

Collapse -
by billzhills / October 19, 2004 1:16 AM PDT

Sorry, keep fogetting that this is a world wide forum.

Window Washer cleans Internet cookies and temp files. If from Webroot it is a safe program. See
http://www.webroot.com/products/windowwasher/

"And they only use pirata version, only when you buy a new comp you get the original CD" WRONG WRONG WRONG.
See my first post about pirated ver of windows. They just made you totally dependent on them for tech support. Seen this too many times not to get screaming mad.

ANy way start with uninstalling the P2P
Networks and scans and let us know how it goes.

Bill

Collapse -
About "And they only use pirata version,"...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2004 1:38 AM PDT

If such is used, then why should the user complain? The pirated versions I've seen can't use Windows Update to fetch the patches and more.

The user can get the impression that this OS is full of bugs and more. Yes, it has some problems, but using a pirated version must be tempered with a "so what if it doesn't work" outlook. It's what it is.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!