Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Explorer ends on startup

by DirtyClean / April 7, 2006 11:15 PM PDT

Hi all
I'm running XP pro with SP2

It's a fairly new computer which hadn't been connected to the internet since yesterday.
So once it was on the internet i just let it freely download updates from Windows Update.
When I tried to open something on my desktop i got a Blue Screen of Death. After restarting i sent the error report and it actually came up with a solution (shocker) that it was my firewall program, Outpost Firewall. After installing the update that it told me to everything went downhill from there.
Everytime I restart the computer and log on i get the error report and when i click anything, explorer ends and doesnt restart (unless i use task manager to restart it). The only way around this is for me to just move the error report box out of the way, but now i cant use windows explorer at all. Anytime i try to open, say, My Documents from the start menu, the taskbar will freeze for a few minutes. Anytime i try to use the Open function from any other program, that program will just shutdown with no warning whatsoever. I've only been able to open this internet explorer window because i just happen to know what the string is to open it in task manager.

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. I can paste the error report if you wish. Just ask for it, but i can tell you that there are 60 Module errors by looking at it.

Here's the Error Signature to give you a bit more info

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: user32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2622 Offset: 0001dad9

Also here's something else.
When i click the start menu and right click anything, the Open and Explore options all appear in lower case, which isn't mean to happen if i remember correctly

Thanks in advance.
-Kris

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Explorer ends on startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Explorer ends on startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Error Message Event ID
by Scott Simontis / April 8, 2006 12:28 AM PDT

Can you find the error message's Event ID? If you locate this, I can look it up and try and see more specifically what your problem is. Go to the Control Panel, and select Administrative Tools. Go to the Event Viewer, and look at the Application Log. All errors will be listed here, so you can see all the error messages you have been having, and any more you might have missed.

Double click on the error, and near the top of the window that pops up, it will mention the event ID.

From what you have said, it sounds like an update did not correctly uninstall. If your firewall started the problem, it might be worth uninstalling it. If that does not fix the problems, it might be time to perform a system restore.

Collapse -
Event ID
by DirtyClean / April 8, 2006 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Error Message Event ID

Thanks for your reply.
I've already tried uninstalling it (i had to use command promt) and doing a sysm restore, both actions didn't do anything to fix the problem.

As for the Event ID, as control panel uses windows explorer to view i can't actually get into it. Is there any other way to get to there, perhaps using command promt?

Thanks
-Kris

Collapse -
Found the event ID
by DirtyClean / April 8, 2006 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Error Message Event ID

I've just been looking around and i've managed to find the event logger.

Event ID:

Description:
"Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module user32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2622, fault address 0x0001dad9."

Hope this helps

Collapse -
Bad News
by Scott Simontis / April 8, 2006 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Found the event ID

From what I have found on Google, it looks like a complete reinstall is the answer. Maybe someone else knows how to fix it, but as far as I know, there are no other solutions. If it does come to this, do you know how to reinstall XP, or do you need some directions? At least I can provide you with that.

Collapse -
Thanks for your help
by DirtyClean / April 8, 2006 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Bad News

That is bad news, but thanks for your help.

This laptop that I'm on is my mums. She got it from school as she is a teacher so i do not have the XP disc at hand.
I'm not sure if there is a factory settings recover console on this laptop (there is one on my other PC). It is a Toshiba Satellite Pro L10 if you have any immediate knowledge of that. If not then I'll look around to see if i could replace my Explorer file as a kind of last resort.

Thanks again
-Kris

Collapse -
School IT?
by Scott Simontis / April 9, 2006 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for your help

If she got it from the school, then she should be able to give it to the school's IT department, and they can reinstall Windows or try to repair it for you.

Collapse -
IT Dep
by DirtyClean / April 9, 2006 7:59 AM PDT
In reply to: School IT?

This is what i've been telling her. Unfortunatly her school is now on easter break and she's not sure whether the IT Dep will still be in.
Also this problem only started on Friday after the school had closed so they definatly wouldnt have been in during the weekend.
I'll try and get her to take it in tomorrow to see if they are in. Hopefully this problem will be resolved soon, it's driving me mad.

Cheers
-Kris

Collapse -
Could be the problem
by DirtyClean / April 8, 2006 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Bad News

There is something that i have spotted which may be part of the problem.

Desktop, the C Drive, D drive, and Control Panel have all been renamed to simply be blank.
This hasn't affected other things of the computer but i have a feeling that it may be affecting Windows Explorer.
I downloaded "explorer.exe" from limewire to see if there was a problem with my explorer.exe but the same error message comes up when i load that one too.
Therefore it must be a problem with one of the aspects that explorer uses.
If you could get me any more help on this matter i would really appreciate it.
Thanks
-Kris

Collapse -
limewire ?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Could be the problem

This is a very bad sign. Downloading parts of Windows from limewire is ... a bad idea. Sad file is on your Windows CD which you refresh by running SFC /SCANNOW.

Bob

Collapse -
Limewire
by DirtyClean / April 8, 2006 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: limewire ?

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that using limewire to download explorer is quite a stupid idea, but I've been trying to solve this problem for about 20 hours now and its getting down to last resorts atm.

I ran SFC /scannow and it came up with a problem but it required the XP disc and i don't have that to hand, this seems like the only solution so I'll just have to look for one.

I'm just using Directory Opus 8 as a replacement for explorer and it seems to be confusing the D drive and C drive and i cant seem to get to the C drive through that.
This problem seems to be getting more complicated every second :S

Cheers for the help though
-Kris

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.