General discussion

Explorer Crash w/ video files

When i play/single click some video files (Xvid) explorer crashes, while its trying to build the thumbnail. These files are not in the my documents folder and can be played through one program that i have (VideoLAN)but most programs ie win media player cant play it.

--NeoGearX--

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Explorer Crash w/ video files
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Explorer Crash w/ video files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re:Explorer Crash w/ video files

It's widely reported. You'll have to complain to the CODEC author.

In the meantime, try latest video and audio drivers.

There will be no fix from Microsoft on this one.

Bob

- Collapse -

I'd bet good money the problem is you don't have the Xvid codec installed. VideoLAN comes with it's own self-contained set of codecs which is why you can it can play the files but not WMP.

Just grab a copy of the latest ffshow ( http://athos.leffe.dnsalias.com/ ) and everything should be fine. It can decode damn near anything, including Xvid.

- Collapse -

I'm having similar problems to the first poster in this thread. Quite a number of vid files cause Windows Explorer to crash by simply selecting them. I haven't identified any pattern as to a common file format amongst them. They can be avi, mpg, wmv, or whatever. WMP CAN play at least some of them. Again, I haven't identified a commonality for exceptions.

I did actually at one time try ffshow, but Windows developed a number of other problems, like spontaneous restarts. Removing ffshow resolved all of those. Seems to me that it's pretty buggy.

Any other ideas?

Cheers, woggie

- Collapse -

woggie,

You could try the DivX Player, it is free from http://www.divx.com.

It comes bundled with most of the common codecs. DivX was designed to play .avi files, but the codecs it supplies allow other media players, eg WMP to play different file types as well.

If any of your movies need the Xvid codec, you can download it from here;
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/xvid.html

Mark

- Collapse -

I know I have the right codec installed, but it still doesn't help.

- Collapse -
Then the right codec has a bug.

Try playing it with VLC PLAYER till they fix it.

CNET Forums