Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Explorer causing error in WMPDXM.DLL

by jonofrance / December 31, 2004 1:11 AM PST

Any help very gratefully received

After failure when installing IE6 SP1 from Windows Update, tried to reinstal Windows ME from Packard Bell smart restore utility - overcame a few problems with Norton preventing instal completion but arrived at position where cannot open any folders, access Control Panel or Printer Settings - can't use CD writer or any printers - all attempts to access produce same error - see output from Dr Watson

Windows Media 6.4 Player Shim performed an invalid memory access.

Module Name: WMPDXM.DLL
Description: Windows Media 6.4 Player Shim
Version: 9.00.00.2980
Product: Microsoft(R) Windows Media Player
Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

Application Name: Explorer.exe
Description: Windows Explorer
Version: 5.50.4134.100
Product: Microsoft(R) Windows (R) 2000 Operating System

--------------------
If the Taskbar is behaving strangely, try exiting Multimedia background task support module.

Module Name: mmtask.tsk
Description: Multimedia background task support module
Version: 4.90.3000
Product: Microsoft Windows

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Explorer causing error in WMPDXM.DLL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Explorer causing error in WMPDXM.DLL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you
by hounta / December 31, 2004 2:01 AM PST

Did you install windows Media player 9 before the recovery, if so then I'd say you will have to re-download.
There could be a problem between Windows Media 6.4 Player and Windows Media 9 Player.

Collapse -
found this
by hounta / December 31, 2004 2:37 AM PST

I to had this problem, My sytem is Window Me.
OK Start by right clicking on Start and go to Explorer then on the left side look for system hit it once on the right side Look for wmpdxm.dll when you find it your going to rename it by Right clicking your mouse on it go to rename it when high lighted use the arrow key on your keyborad right side lower right the right arrow key only hit it ones, then but a 2 there (this it will look like Wmpdxm.dll2 OK this part is done. ok go back my computer and click it again a new error will come up. do the same thing again - go to start right click it to Explorer to system and look for the new error ( on my computer this was it msdxm.ocx and rename it. It will look like this msdxm.ocx2 then it ALL FIX.

Collapse -
partly solved
by jonofrance / December 31, 2004 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: found this

Hi Hounta and thanks for replies
Found solution below when I searched the Forum, tried it and it has solved most of the problem - I can access folders, control panel etc again - but I still have no printers - message I get when I try to print is NO PRINTER .. all my printers appear under PRINTER SETTINGS and I can print from the MSDOS prompt but not from windows .. any ideas?

Re: need help on major problem

Try SAFE MODE plus this information.

http://www.updatexp.com/wmpdxm-dll.html

Bob

Collapse -
sounds like IE problem
by hounta / December 31, 2004 3:23 AM PST
In reply to: partly solved
Collapse -
making progress
by jonofrance / December 31, 2004 5:27 AM PST
In reply to: sounds like IE problem

have just deleted and reinstalled printer and can now print .. tried downloading IE6 from alternative site but got same install failure .. only problem left is that CD R/W has disappeared from Device Manager

Collapse -
Two problems
by hounta / December 31, 2004 6:25 AM PST
In reply to: making progress

Sometimes weird things happen when IE files are corrupt, you can try to reinstall IE5 again.
Right click Start then Explore and scroll down to Windows Update Setup Files and click the folder on the right click ie5setup icon.
Check mark I accept the agreement then click Next.
Check mark Install Minimal, or costomize your browser then click Next.
Check mark IE5 then click Next.
That should reinstall the proper files so that you can download IE6SP1

This is a little utility RegClean that helps to repair the registry.
http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/RegClean/3000-2094-881470.html

Also do a thorough ScanDisk

Nice to see printer ok

Collapse -
RE; FOUND THIS
by murlin47 / January 17, 2005 1:23 PM PST
In reply to: found this

OK I HAVE me AND THE SAME PROBLEM. I DID WHAT YOU SAID AND IT WORKS GREAT THANK YOU

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?