Computer Help forum

Question

Explorer bar troubleshooting

by kagemushai / March 20, 2014 10:51 AM PDT

Each time I open Music,Picture,Documents,My computer, panels it keeps showing the folders on the left sided explorer bar. I click on the folder button to get back to the windows explorer bar layout. Is it possible to open these panels without showing automatically the Search,Favorites History, Folders on the explorer bar? Just show the windows bar (blue color). Thank you for your help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Explorer bar troubleshooting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Explorer bar troubleshooting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'm going with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2014 8:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
Still cannot recover the default feature
by kagemushai / March 24, 2014 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm going with no.

Hi Bob,
Thank you for your help. I have tried several times the Tools-Folder Options-General tab-Show common tasks feature. I also tried the "restore to default" button but it does not work. Whenever I open one of the"My Documents", "My Pictures", "My Music", "My computer" folders the task panel does not appear, the window keeps opening on folders. Only when I press the folder button again can I see the task pane appear. Is there any Microsoft "Fix it" or any other program or any other way that can help me fix the troubleshoot?

Collapse -
Again I have to go with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2014 5:53 AM PDT

Explorer did get updates from MSFT so what it did in the past may not be possible today.

Remember I am reading your request up top and it sounds like you want a custom view. There are many articles about Explorer not showing this or that like we read at http://www.askvg.com/how-to-re-enable-missing-details-pane-in-windows-vista-explorer/ but from what I read in your first post you want to customize the view. To do that I'd look at other file browsers.
Bob

Collapse -
No custom view ! the default view like in Wikipedia
by kagemushai / March 24, 2014 1:45 PM PDT

Toshiba mini notebook NB 205-210: OS: Windows XP
Hi Bob,
Thank you for your patience. Sorry, I might not have been clear enough. I try to do better this time! I don't want to custom my window. On the contrary, I try to get back to the default view like showed on the wikipedia link you sent in your first post. When I open "My Documents", "My Pictures", "My Music", "My computer" the windows keep opening with the button folders (underneath the menu bar) already clicked in and of course the folders appear on the left side task pane of the window like the traditional view with Windows Explorer(see your wikipedia link). Before posting this request I tried the Folder Option box several times, I scanned with AVG just in case of a virus, I scanned with MalwareBytes in case of Malware. I also used tdss killer in case of rootkit. NOTHING. I did a sfc/scannow to verify the integrity of my system and a chkdsk C:/R but the small problem still remains. Unlike Vista (thank you for your 2nd link) in XP I have nothing like the layout I can only play through the Folder Option box or the View- Explorer bar-(and uncheck the folder option) ,or press the button Folder so that it does not look like it was clicked on anymore, but it all comes back the same when after closing it I reopen the window. I was wondering if re downloading and reinstalling SP3 would fix the problem or if Windows have any fix for that (shell problem? I am not good enough to know!). Again thank you for your patience and your help.

Collapse -
(NT) Try another user account next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2014 3:20 PM PDT
Collapse -
Another User account did not solve the problem
by kagemushai / March 26, 2014 1:27 PM PDT

Hi R. Proffit,
Thank you for the suggestion. I opened a new user account but it did solve the problem.
Else than the problem with my explorer bar I had a problem with explorer always opening folders in a new window. I solved the problem by making the following .cmd file which I had a hard time to find on different forums:
@echo off
:: 32 bit and 64 bit
IF EXIST "%SystemRoot%\System32\actxprxy.dll" "%SystemRoot%\System32\regsvr32.exe" "%SystemRoot%\System32\actxprxy.dll"
and reboot

Now I need someone to tell me what is the command line for explorer to open on the traditional window instead of the folders view.
Can someone tell me which command file I should use? Thank you for your help.

Collapse -
MY PROBLEM IS NOT SOLVED PLEASE HELP
by kagemushai / March 27, 2014 2:49 AM PDT

Hi there,
My computer : Toshiba Mini Notebook NB205
my OS : Windows XP

Following a virus infection as I was looking for a Microsoft Fixit (be careful guys someone on the net (from China) is using the name Microsoft Fix it name to confuse you and get into your computer. When you start opening the program after the first window appears the NEXT button is in Chinese)and if you push it you get an infection.
After cleaning the infection with my antivirus my computer started acting weird.
1) Explorer started opening folders always opening folders in a new window. I solved the problem by making the following .cmd file which I had a hard time to find on different forums:
@echo off
:: 32 bit and 64 bit
IF EXIST "%SystemRoot%\System32\actxprxy.dll" "%SystemRoot%\System32\regsvr32.exe" "%SystemRoot%\System32\actxprxy.dll"
and a reboot
2) instead of opening like shown on the windows XP image in wikipedia following link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Explorer my Windows Explorer side bar known as EXPLORER BAR in the View expanded MENU bar. The troubleshooting problem is as follow. When I open "My Documents", "My Pictures", "My Music", "My computer" the windows keep opening with the button FOLDERS like it was already clicked and when I go to VIEW on the menu bar and expand it, then go to EXPLORER BAR menu I can see that the FOLDER option is selected (other options for this so called Explorer bar are Search,Favorites,History).

I need someone to tell me what is the command line for explorer to open on the traditional window instead of the folders view.
Can someone tell me which command line I should use to solve this 2) problem?
Thank you for your help. Happy

Collapse -
Time to make that call to Microsoft.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2014 2:55 AM PDT

While I think reloading the OS would correct this, Microsoft's XP support ends in a few weeks so if anyone knows what's up, they would.

Sorry that I misread your top post as if you wanted a custom view. I am assuming you tried all the available controls.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you for your help
by kagemushai / March 28, 2014 12:15 AM PDT

Hi Bob,
Thank you for your help. I will follow your advice and try to get help from Microsoft "big brother" as support for Windows XP stops in a week.

Collapse -
PROBLEM SOLVED
by kagemushai / April 6, 2014 10:59 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?