HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Explorer bar, quick launch and start menu not responding

by LarryD / August 22, 2004 10:21 PM PDT

(asked but not yet answered over at V&SA)http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=34064&messageID=392663

My daughter's XP Home computer (with SP2 successfully installed) and, for the most part, regularyly scanned for spyware and innoculated (spyware blaster, iespyad and hosts) is acting funny.

Start Menu appears, but doesn't respond to clicks, nor does the quicklaunch toolbar. The only area that responds is the notification area.

Only fix is to power down and choose 'last known good configuration'. Rebooted, ran a battery of (spyware) scans, no problems found and now the problem re-appears.

Any clues?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Explorer bar, quick launch and start menu not responding
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Explorer bar, quick launch and start menu not responding
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Explorer bar, quick launch and start menu not responding
by Cetin Denislam / August 23, 2004 1:18 AM PDT

In a working condition (i.e. after LKGC) download and run Taskbar Repair Tool.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Tried the following:
by LarryD / August 23, 2004 10:25 AM PDT

*last known good configuration
*System Restore
*SFC /SCANNOW
*scanned for spyware with AdAware, Pest Patrol, Spybot, CW Shredder and The Cleaner

Any other clues?

Anyone?

Collapse -
Re: Try this....
by David Chan / August 23, 2004 10:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried the following:

Heh Larry,

Have you tried MSCONFIG?

Check "Selective Startup", then uncheck "Load Startup Items".

Now see if it still freezes.
If not then you know one of the programs loading on startup is the culprit.

Good luck hunting it down.

Cheers.

Collapse -
I will, curiously the freeze only occurs after a while.
by LarryD / August 23, 2004 6:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Try this....

Rebooting cures the freeze and the computer is fine...for a while, but eventually it freezes. Any thoughts on uninstalling SP2?

Collapse -
Re: I will, curiously the freeze only occurs after a while.
by David Chan / August 24, 2004 2:22 AM PDT

Don't forget to troubleshoot hardware/drivers issues.
Recently I worked on a PC that has similar freezing problems and traced the cause to a failing Video Card.
Replacing it solved the problem.

Also check for leaking capacitors on the motherboard.

You may also want to run a MemTest as well as a diagnostic test for possible HDD problems.

Have fun...

Collapse -
by LarryD / August 24, 2004 2:39 AM PDT

<<Also check for leaking capacitors on the motherboard.>>

Should I put a saucer under the computer to catch the leakage? Does it drip slowly like a faucet, or spray like a hole in the garden hose?

<<You may also want to run a MemTest as well as a diagnostic test for possible HDD problems.>>

HDD test? as in CHKDSK? or other
As to MemTest, exactly what product are you referring to (please supply link as I don't want to get the wrong one).

Have fun...

Collapse -
New user is working, so far so good
by LarryD / August 24, 2004 12:59 PM PDT

a real pain setting it up, however, but it beats a reformat

Collapse -
by Keith Epstein / August 29, 2004 7:34 AM PDT

I'm having the same problem. Has anyone provided a fix short of backing out SP2?

Keith
kepstein@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re-read all thread & try the suggestions. Otherwise ?
by Cetin Denislam / August 29, 2004 6:07 PM PDT

? open a new thread because your PC's problem could have a totally different cause.

This Forum is different than other Forums where posters leave a message like a shot in the dark.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re: Tried the following:
by Cetin Denislam / August 23, 2004 7:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Tried the following:

OK, another additional procedure, although I'm not clear if you were able to run Taskbar Repair.

Boot in Safe Mode and logon with the built in Administrator account. Create a new user account with administrator priviledge. Restart in Normal mode , logon with the new account and see if it works.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Thanks, but I am not sure how to run the repair
by LarryD / August 23, 2004 8:57 PM PDT

When I reboot, the computer is fine, so there is nothing to repair, is there? Then after a while...the computer is frozen. The start menu pops up, but you can't click anything. Task bar is dead, right clicking yields nothing. The only thing that works is a few of the notification icons are accessible.

I'll try the new user route, but for the record, I hate the thought of having multiple users!

Collapse -
Re: Thanks, but I am not sure how to run the repair
by Cetin Denislam / August 23, 2004 9:31 PM PDT

OK, then you have a freezing problem, less probable related with a taskbar repair. Does the Ctrl Alt Del combo work after freezing ? In this case, you should check the running processes.

The approach with creating a new user account is only to check if there is something related with account's corruption. If it works with the new account, use FILE & SETTINGS TRANSFER WIZARD. After you're sure that everything is working, delete the problem account, so your wish is feasible.

Could be hardware problems too, from bad drivers to heating. Open the case's cover and let it run awhile without it.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
C+A+D like every other function is unavailable
by LarryD / August 23, 2004 9:53 PM PDT

At that point, the only option is holding power switch to power down. I will try the new account tonight.

Collapse -
How soon after the SP2 install...
by Michael Geist / August 23, 2004 10:45 AM PDT

did the problem appear?

Collapse -
not sure as daughter was away for the week
by LarryD / August 23, 2004 10:57 AM PDT

after I installed, hard to tell when problem started

Collapse -
I'm just a lttle leary...
by Michael Geist / August 23, 2004 11:12 AM PDT

about anything new coming out of MS. I'll wait till the bugs are shaken out in a couple of months.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Amen on that!...................Hey David!
by Eugene Robbins / August 23, 2004 11:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Papa Echo / August 25, 2004 9:33 AM PDT

After you rebooted and get the machine going, check the event log- some clues may be there...

Collapse -
by Richard64 / August 26, 2004 4:27 AM PDT

Had the same problem and it also affected the Icons on the MSN9 browser I am using.Tried system restore, did a clean reinstall, made sure all drivers were updated, Updated all programs and applications, Ran spyware package, updated my eTrust EZ Armor. Nothing worked until I disabled the XP firewall. The only thing I can think of is that there was a conflict between the two firewalls. This may not be your problem but if you are using two firewalls it might be worth a try.

Collapse -
Thanks. but, creating a new user worked
by LarryD / August 26, 2004 4:31 AM PDT

The new user didn't freeze, the old one did, so I just moved everything over to the new user and deleted the old one.

A quick workaround beats a lengthy fix any day of the week!

Collapse -
Hate to steal the thread...
by IUBiff / February 19, 2007 11:48 AM PST

I am having the same problem, except none of the icons worked. I opened up the case to notice no case fan ,so I bought one. Problem happened again. I am going to run the computer over night with the side panel open to see if this cures the problem. If not, I will do the new user idea. If it is just the side panel being off, what can I do to keep it cooler in there with the side panel on?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.