Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

explorer 7 won't connect

by Amos16 / November 7, 2010 10:34 PM PST

Hello - A snag in my HP printer found an HP patch that was to fix it, but it worked only with I explorer 7 or 8. I had IE 6 on my machine mainly for updates and features that do not work with Firefox. So I deleted IE6 and downloaded IE7 from the MS site. It set itself up, to the point where I get updates for it. It shows up in Program Files and the shortcut is there. But it will not connect - simply no reaction when I click on the .exe icon. And I cannot delete it since it is uninstallable.
Any ideas? Here are my configurations:
Configuration: 160 GB HDD ,WD, SATA.
Memory : 1GB, in twin sticks
Processor: Intel Pentium dual, 1.6 GB
3 cooling fans, temperature control
XP Pro, SP 3.
Firefox + IE6 for updates,
Thomson Ethernet modem
Wireless router Edimax 6204,
(networked w. Asus netbook, Win7)
Mobo American Megatrends
DVD disk reader Samsung
DVD disk reader/writer LG.
UPS Gammatronic
Configuration assembled locally, the
oldest part of it (XP, casing and power supply)
from compUSA 7 years ago, DVDs about
5 years old, Processor and wiring 18 months,
Mobo in April 2010.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: explorer 7 won't connect
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: explorer 7 won't connect
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: browser
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 7, 2010 10:41 PM PST

Oops. "I deleted I6". What exactly did you do? And how did you do it? And why did you do it?
No need to do it at all!

Use system restore to go back to when you had a working IE6. Then install IE7 again without doing anything yourself with IE6. Might work.

Kees

Collapse -
By the way.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 7, 2010 10:47 PM PST

I deleted your 2 other posts about this same subject in this same forum. No need to post more than once.

Kees

Collapse -
system restore
by Amos16 / November 7, 2010 10:55 PM PST
In reply to: By the way.

I hope you read my apology before deleting it. The comp has only one system restore point available, and it is for today, when the glitch was already in full action. None for last month; it won't even let me view it. What else could I do?

Collapse -
Re: what else to do.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 7, 2010 11:10 PM PST
In reply to: system restore

Only having one restore point is a troubling situation. The most common reasons:
1. A malware infection that deleted all to make it more difficult for you to remove the malware.
2. An overzealous owner doing too much disk cleaning in stead of accepting that 5 or 8 GB of his 160 GB is being used for system restore purposes.

What you can try now:
1. sfc /scannow to search for missing files. Google XP SFC SCANNOW to read more
2. a repair install of XP. Google XP REPAIR INSTALL to read more
You'll need your XP CD and success isn't guaranteed.

Kees

Collapse -
repair install
by Amos16 / November 7, 2010 11:29 PM PST
In reply to: Re: what else to do.

Malware does not seem the culprit: I have three of the best removers (AVG Free, Avast, Malwarebytes) and use them daily or bi-daily. Clean bill for the past fortnight. Repair install is a drudgery; I last used it when I had to uninstall IE8 because of a persistent bug that the Forum and the MS support could not kill. Shall use it again if I have to, but first will backup what works. Thanks.

Collapse -
summation
by Amos16 / November 8, 2010 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: repair install

Kaas - and whoever else read this - MS support in Israel finally solved the problem without much pain. They found a way to uninstall IE7, and IE6 reappeared. This also caused Run to reappear (I had not noticed its loss) and so did Internet Options which I had missed. It seems that my computer at present does not see eye to eye with IE7, and I shall find out if the Repair function, with the original disk, will remedy this . If not, I shall use the backup which is now in the works. - Amos.

Collapse -
Thanks for telling.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 8, 2010 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: summation

There are things you can't do on a forum. And I doubt if I could have done it if I had had access to the machine. Surely a good job from Microsoft support.

Kees

Collapse -
Kaas
by Amos16 / November 9, 2010 2:23 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for telling.

Hi - the misspelling was not intentional. It seems that at the back of my mind Kaas connects more easily with Holland than Kees. Sorry and thanks again.

Collapse -
Hi Amos,
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 9, 2010 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: Kaas

I hadn't even noticed it!

Indeed, kaas (cheese), - the vowel is pronounced as an long version of the a in arm) is a product we make here in Holland. And we like the image of being a cheese (and tulip and wooden shoes) country. Good of you to know. But Kees - pronounced exactly like the English 'case') is a good old Dutch name, totally unrelated to cheese, but to the original name Cornelis or Cornelius.

To make it worse, there's a new local product (vegetable cheese, that's cheese made from milk where they replaced the milk-fat by vegetable fat with much less of bad cholesterol), which for some marketing reasons they sell under the name of Kees in stead of Kaas. Seems rather crazy but it's a fact. See the pictures at the bottom right of
http://www.keeskaas.com/
Somehow, it doesn't appeal to me much.

Anyway, thanks for the excuse.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.