Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Explore CD in Windows XP

by bigpond2 / March 13, 2007 12:55 AM PDT

Normally one can open or "explore" the contents of a CD either by double clicking the icon or right clicking and selecting "explore". However one of my machines refuses to open the contents of the CD.
The drive works as it will autostart for a DVD or new hardware can access the drive for drivers, but I cannot open the contents of the drive. It will software eject OK.
Has anyone any clues?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Explore CD in Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Explore CD in Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How was it made?
by jackson dougless / March 13, 2007 1:17 AM PDT

You don't say anything about what kind of CD this is. Is it a commercially pressed CD, or is it a burned CD? If it's a burned CD, how was it burned? Was it burned using normal methods, or via a packet writing program such as DirectCD or InCD?

Collapse -
Re: How was it made?
by Themisive / March 13, 2007 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: How was it made?

To jackson dougless: Provided the sofware used is OK, there shouldn't be ANY problem in reading a CD (or DVD) contents, whether it is commercially pressed or a burned CD.

To Bigpond2: Have you made any alterations to the other machine to stop it reading the disks? Check the settings between your machines, there may be some error youv'e inadvertantly made.

Collapse -
Not always
by jackson dougless / March 13, 2007 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: How was it made?

Packet writing software, such as the two programs I mentioned, require special reader software to be installed before Windows has any clue how to read those discs. It's a common problem people run into when they use such software, which is why I asked.

I'm not like many of the other people you run into on these forums. There's a reason behind every question I ask. I don't ask questions to make me sound like I know what I'm doing, or because I'm following a set pattern. I ask questions to get specific information about the problem.

Collapse -
I find this the btter solution to read CD's, WINXP, WINME&
by darclew7 / March 13, 2007 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Not always

I have a WinZip in. Go to run, click on browse, select Computer and the drive, All Files. This way, I don't install anything and if I have cab files, that is where winzip coms in, cab in a cab is the same process, open with winzip. Darrell L

Collapse -
Accessing CD ROM
by bigpond2 / March 13, 2007 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: How was it made?

This is really not "rocket science".
If you double click the floppy drive icon with a disc in, Windows will open up the contents if it is readable. In the same way, a CD ROM should open up either by autostart or by displaying the contents in Microsoft Explorer. So if the CD is readable, why wont it open?

Collapse -
Gee, I don't know...
by jackson dougless / March 13, 2007 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Accessing CD ROM

Is there a possibility it was burned using a filesystem Windows can't read without special software installed? Something like, I don't know, the form of UDF used by packet writing software? You know, like I was asking about in my first post... A post made several hours before anyone else posted anything... Does anyone actually read the other responses to a thread anymore, before jumping in and rehashing the same idea? And it's not like one of those long threads where you've got 50+ posts to go through, there's like 5, none of which are very long. You guys are killing me here. I weep for the future you represent.

Collapse -
Comical, ain't it?
by linkit / March 13, 2007 12:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Gee, I don't know...

"Sir, take this free bar of gold."

"Nah, I don't want any. I'll probably just drop it on my foot on the way home. Too dangerous."

Bigpond2, try to answer the GOOD QUESTIONS that jackson dougless asked in the first reply.

Collapse -
How was it made?
by bigpond2 / March 13, 2007 5:14 PM PDT
In reply to: How was it made?

I'll try and answer for the last time.
The CDs are all commercial ones that come with hardware as driver and application discs.

How was it made? I don't know. They certainly were not home made. They were made by the hardware manufacturers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?