Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

exploer.exe takes up all cpu usage

OK, every time i get on my computer, it is running slow. So i have looked on my task manager. When i go there, the explorer.exe is taking up 100% of my ram. I have a gig of ram, so it shouldn't be that way. I would say PLEASE HELP at the end but i don't want to be a idiot!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: exploer.exe takes up all cpu usage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: exploer.exe takes up all cpu usage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
explorer.exe

In reply to: exploer.exe takes up all cpu usage

Go to Task Mgr (the three finger salute-Ctrl-Alt-Delete)
click on "processes" and on the "explorer.exe line. Now go to "end process" and click it. Click yes on warning window.

Collapse -
thats what i thought

In reply to: explorer.exe

I did the same thing, about every time i start my computer. When i do that, my taskbar dissappears and my icons. All i have left is that task manager window. So, i click shut down and i restart it. When it reboots its fine.....for a while. I had it sit for a while to come back to the same problem.

Collapse -
Re: thats what i thought

In reply to: thats what i thought

Collapse -
Re: thats what..............

In reply to: Re: thats what i thought

You a right, Tufenuf. Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I had a "senior moment"! Please excuse me!

Collapse -
explorer.exe uses all the CPU time

In reply to: thats what i thought

I have the same problem and have not cured it but I can work around it. I copied an uncorrupted "explorer.exe" file from another computer with the same operating system and stored it on my desktop. Whenever I boot the machine, I go to task manager and use END PROCESS on the explorer.exe file that is using all of the CPUI time. Then go to File/New Task (Run) and open the uncorrupted file stored on the desktop. That cures my problem until the next time I reboot my machine. You can also find explorer.exe in about 3-4 other locations in the Windows directory (use the search function) and you can use one of these (NOT the one in the WINDOWS main directory!!). I have tried going into the command prompt and deleting the corrupted file and replacing it with a good one, but every time I boot my machine it gets replaced with the corrupted one. This lets my machine run normally however

Collapse -
explorer.exe

In reply to: explorer.exe uses all the CPU time

Check out r.proffit answer in this message string.
change the computer background to none!!!!!

Collapse -
Nothing

I scan my computer with norton antivirus(UPDATE 1 JULY 2005) and not infected , i scan my computer with SPyBOt & destroy ( update 1 July 2005 )... dont find Spyware/adware in my computer, so My Computer Still running slow, explorer proses = 77 - 80 ( i dont do anything ) and my CPU PERFORMANCE = 77 - 85 %

please help help ,,,

Collapse -
Have you

In reply to: Nothing

Collapse -
explorer exe

In reply to: Nothing

if you stop stop explorer exe you problem will still be there it will only stop it for a while...you need to find the problem, it will be some thing you have downloaded (ie from file shareing)try moving your downloads indivualy to another file your find one that you cant move it will say :cant move, being used by another user or program thats the one you need to remove (probaly a movie)now you need to restart in safe mode return to the problem file try to delete it.. if you cant delete move it to your desk top restart as normal leave it in the folder then delete and that should be your problem solved.....any one who finds this helpfull can you pls let me know.......

Collapse -
CPU usage.

Memory, Speed, and Performance May Decrease

1. The article [Q310419] describes issues concerning computer speed and decreased performance caused by programs loaded at startup, programs that create memory leaks, and the situation when a computer has a small or minimal amount of random access memory (RAM), or a slower central processing unit (CPU).

2. The article [Q822430] explains that when you click a large Audio Video Interleaved (AVI) file in Explorer, Windows may stop responding (hang), you notice that the Explorer.exe process consumes 100 percent of CPU usage for up to two hours or more and occurs when Windows tries to query the index of the file which isn't there and then attemps to build one. Read the TweakXP tip ''AVI files causing high cpu usage again with installation of XP SP1'' to prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to their file property queries causing 100% cpu usage.

3. The article [Q314056] describes Svchost.exe (%SystemRoot%\System32 folder), the generic host process name for services that run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs), can run in multiple instances at the same time and each session can contain a grouping of services so they can run depending on how and where it is started. Please note, the built-in ''Task Scheduler'' -- a ''huge word that'' (Schedsvc.dll) component is made up of the MSTask.exe service file and a user interface (UI) component in MSTask.dll that you can use through Windows Explorer or through Control Panel and is hosted by the file Svchost.exe in the Netsvcs group.

Note: If you feel a service stared and running is to blamed for the excessive CPU usage, use the procedure in [Q316434] to stop services one at a time simply for the purpose of determining which one could be causing the anomaly. ''Starter'' is yet another free startup manager that allows you to view and manage all the programs that are starting automatically whenever Windows boots. It lists all the hidden registry entries, as well as the common Startup Folder items. You can choose to safely disable selected entries, edit them or delete them altogether (if you know what you're doing). Expert users can even add their own entries.

4. When a Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC) application is run on WinXP, a memory leaks for Graphics Device Interface (GDI) objects may be seen when creating and destroying child windows and can be observed in the GDI objects of the process in Task Manager. This can occur when a program make many calls to the StgCreateDocFile function to create compound storage objects and causes a 512-byte memory leak to occur - an error, STG_E_FILEALREADYEXISTS (0x80030050). To resolve problems of this type when applicable, ''Obtain the Latest Windows XP Service Pack'' described in [Q319740].

5. The article [Q309073] states that by sending a particular set of commands to an affected system, an attacker could gradually deplete resources on the system to the point where performance could be slowed or stopped altogether. The vulnerability results because the Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) service that either ships with or can be installed does not correctly handle certain requests and can cause a memory leak.

6. The article [Q315000] states that unchecked buffer in Universal Plug and Play can lead to System Compromise and describes two vulnerabilities that affect the implementation of UPnP in various products. Although the vulnerabilities are unrelated, both involve how UPnP-capable computers process the discovery of new devices on the network. To resolve this problem obtain the latest sevice pack for Windows XP.

7. Laptop users may experience this problem if the power policy changes because of an AC/DC transition while the computer is using the ''Max Battery'' power scheme. When the computer is running at 100 percent CPU usage, the computer never enters the idle loop in which the speed of the CPU is dynamically adjusted based on demand and current policy values. The supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in, [Q330512].

8. Open Task Manager and click the Processes tab to see a list of ''running processes'' (click to see a screen shot) - click the CPU column header to sort the list of processes by their CPU utilization as desired.

a. You may find that if the Microsoft Indexing Service (Cidaemon.exe) is used and a cause for high CPU utilization.

b. In Task Manager, you can right-click an active program or process and change the amount of CPU power it gets until it's closed, which then reverts back to the XP's default assignment -- Low, BelowNormal, Normal, AboveNormal, High and Realtime.

9. While on the subject of CPU usage and how to tell -- or should I say ''attempt to tell'', I wonder if Microsoft really fixed things for XP. Referencing an older published article [Q227131], it explains that the System Monitor tool may display incorrect CPU Usage that can occur for any of the following reasons, and which you can safely ignore since it is not indicative of a problem:

? CPU usage rises to somewhere between 20-60 percent even though you are not running any programs.
? CPU usage declines sharply when you move your mouse.
? CPU usage declines sharply either when you run Windows Media Player or play a .wav file.
? CPU usage rises when you dial-up to connect.
? CPU usage does not fall from 100 percent.

Note: In addition, the older article [Q178563] states that if you use System Monitor to monitor more than one occurrence of ''Kernel: Processor Usage,'' the second and following occurrences of ''Kernel: Processor Usage'' show 100 percent processor usage. As a workaround to this behavior, use only one occurrence of ''Kernel: Processor Usage'' in System Monitor, or use two separate occurrences of System Monitor.

10.The article [Q819946] explains a problem and the possible fix that when you right-click an item (such as a file, a folder, or a network connection) in Windows Explorer or in My Computer, other programs may temporarily stop performing a task. In addition, if you start Windows Task Manager (right-click an empty area on the taskbar, and then click it), you may notice on the Processes tab that the Explorer.exe process is using a lot (or 100 percent) of the CPU resources.
Collapse -
Try this.

Set the screen background to NONE.

Just a wild guess based on running into this issue a few times. Explorer can't cope with some images and you see the CPU peak.

Bob

Collapse -
re ur problem

Always scan for viruses and spyware before asuming that its a hardware problem etc.
delete all ur cookies,delete all temp files and history from ie in the internet options.
Then start thinking about other problems that could cause this.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.