HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Expert Help Needed. Lots of problems after virus.

by the_under_dog86 / November 1, 2010 3:57 PM PDT

Hi, a few days ago I got a trojan virus and it has caused some major issues. I downloaded and ran AVG Free and cleared out the virus, but now I am having a range of issues from:

-Cant install windows updates.
-Internet explorer is really slow and constantly redirects pages.
-Missing icons in folders and not being able to access some parts of the control panel.
-PC running slow in general.
-Some parts of the interface of programs go black.

This all seems totally wierd. I have also ran Malwarebytes scan and done a registry clean with eurasing. I have also turned off system restore, booted in safe mode and ran an AVG scan which found nothing. I tried installing ad-aware but my internet didnt hold up the download time before it screwed up on 90%, but im not sure how much it would help. I am running Vista.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Expert Help Needed. Lots of problems after virus.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Expert Help Needed. Lots of problems after virus.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The symptoms could mean there's still infection
by Donna Buenaventura / November 1, 2010 5:38 PM PDT

in Windows.

I suggest using a clean PC to download the following tools:
1. Microsoft Fix it 50195 to reset IE settings.
2. Microsoft Fix it 50267 to reset the hosts file in Windows
3. Microsoft Fix it 50203 to reset Winsock in Windows
4. TDSSKiller from Kaspersky
5. Hitman Pro

All of the above will run in Windows Vista which is your system.

Save those files in USB or flash drive or any blank removable media that you can plugin/insert to the problematic computer.

Run or execute all the above in order (#1 to #5). Reboot only when prompted.

See if anything will improve (internet connection, redirection of webpages)
If it will fix the above issue, open Windows Update program in Vista and try again to download/install the updates. If there'll be problem, note the error code or error message and kindly post back.

Collapse -
Thanks heaps Donna!
by the_under_dog86 / November 1, 2010 6:51 PM PDT

Thanks Donna,

I have followed the steps and found a few baddies. These have seemed to fix everything, i have now been able to do a windows update, and the internet is working fine.

Many thanks!

Collapse -
(NT) Good work! You're welcome :)
by Donna Buenaventura / November 1, 2010 6:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks heaps Donna!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.