General discussion

expert advice needed for 1st purchase

Hello - I need to make my very first laptop purchase, and am literally getting headaches over all the info to wade through.

All I need is:

* wi-fi for the internet
* enough power/memory to run a few programs like photoshop and store a lot of photos
* I will NOT be playing any games, but want a CD/DVD player
* a cheap price is important to me right now.

In short, I need a simple but reliable little workhorse. No bells and whistles and oh yeah, no Vista.....need windows XP.

If you could steer me in the right direction I'd not only be deeply grateful but will offer you my firstborn child whenever he/she appears....in other words...H E L P please!
Thanks much, guys....

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: expert advice needed for 1st purchase
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: expert advice needed for 1st purchase
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Thanks, but how is that a help?

Thanks, but how is that a help? There are still dozens of models to choose from....

- Collapse -
Just create a list of the units that...

Have the OS and features you want. Your wish list should have some hundred models to choose from.

Bob

- Collapse -
You said the magic word (workhorse)
- Collapse -
hi and thanks on that.....
- Collapse -
I see you have a new discussion on that (locking.)

Locked.

CNET Forums

Forum Info