Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Experienced user needs buying advice - simple player needed

by knisbeth / March 28, 2008 7:01 PM PDT

Hi guys

I am looking for advice on what is the best MP3 player for my purposes out there. I am fairly tech savvy and I know what I need, and I have gone through four players without finding it. I have also read tons of reviews, but they tend to be lacking in detail on the features that are important to me, and rather rate players based on their level of gimmicky features that I have no use for.

What I want is a player that:

- Organises, and lets you browse and play, files through the original PC filename/folder structure. My music is perfectly organised, my way, and I do not need the player to reorganise everything by inconsistent ID3 tags or whatever.

- Supports a maximum number of audio file formats.

- Does not necessarily have video, radio or anything else fancy.

- Allows transferring files through drag-and-drop, and does not need software installation or anything like that.

- Has a simply "hold button to add to playlist" function, or similar, like on an Ipod, that can be used directly from filename navigation to create quick playlists.

- Allows for random playing within a given artist folder, e.g. if I have a main folder called "Elvis Presley" and 1000 songs under that folder sorted in different album folders, I want it to be able to shuffle within the main "Elvis Presley" folder.

- Of course, the best possible audio quality is also a concern.

I am sure this player exists out there. Thank you very much!

Karl

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Experienced user needs buying advice - simple player needed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Experienced user needs buying advice - simple player needed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That doesn't sound simple at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2008 11:16 PM PDT

What you are asking for may be trivial for a laptop. Why not a laptop?

For me I didn't bother with all this. I picked up a 99 buck refurb iPod and it's just dandy.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) You might want to check out the Cowon D2 and Cowon iAudio
by JonTitor / March 29, 2008 3:23 PM PDT
Collapse -
cowon seems like the way to go
by deepsigh / March 30, 2008 3:50 AM PDT

it sounds like you were describing a cowon player to the letter: drag-and-drop, excellent audio quality, variety of formats, etc. I would also check out some earlier samsung players - I have a yp-t7 that does pretty much everything you asked for.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.