HolidayBuyer's Guide

Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Experienced buyer seeking some insight...

by raju0588 / September 23, 2007 2:06 PM PDT

I have had many mp3 players, from Creative's ancient Zen Extra to the Zen Micro and then finally with my most recent Zen Vision M. I have only had 1 I-Pod, the I-Pod U2 special edition. No, I don't break all these or lose them, I simply sell them back and upgrade or give 'em away and upgrade.
I am in the market for a predominately video monster and it must have a removable battery. Which was the only drawback to the Vision M, which is IMO the best portable (easily pocket-able) player ever. I dropped it and the screen internally cracked from the middle, killing all sight from the right side, yet played songs beautifully and video's flawlessly, but clearly impossible to view. Then the battery completely died on me, and why replace a nearly destroyed machine.

I'm kind of torn between the "godly" Archos 605 and Creative's Zen Vision W. I love Creative and surely pledge allegiance to them, but the Archos Wifi is just too amazing to pass up. Creative has a better screen, IMO, their screen is a lot more glossy, though Archos shows off its better screen resolution, 640X480 compared to Creative's 480X272. Screen resolution means nothing to me because I loved the Vision M's movie display, I must of watched over 1,000 hours of video on that player, actually more like 10,000.
After thinking long and hard, and looking at Archos boasting a 17 hour audio playback, 5.5 hour video(especially that!!) http://www.archos.com/products/gen_5/archos_605wifi/tech_specs.html?country=global&lang=en, I was hooked. But!! I've been reading from other reviews and even on CNET that Archos has an average battery life, and is less than that of the greatest battery life players, Zen visions.
So please someone with a Archos 605, rate it as objectively as possible, something I suck at, and tell me about the battery life. Thank You.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Experienced buyer seeking some insight...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Experienced buyer seeking some insight...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One more thing!!
by raju0588 / September 23, 2007 2:09 PM PDT

Oh, I understand the Archos doesn't have my demand for removable battery, but if its battery life lives up to its official websites specs, then I can look past it.

Collapse -
battery
by JonTitor / September 23, 2007 2:20 PM PDT

Cnet recently posted their battery lab results for the 605WiFi
4.5 hrs for Video and 13.5 hrs for Audio
so year average, but they didn't say what kinds of videos, obviously an HD video with high bit rate would drain the battery faster, so it could be a little better

the battery wasn't removable this Generation to make the device smaller than last year, the 604s have removable battery
but instead this year they only have an extended battery accessory

also the screen resolution is actually 800x480 on the 605Wifi, and 16 million colors, its really impressive for surfing the web
the Vision W has 262,000 colors and 480x272 res (so does the 604)
only thing is, the screen won't looks as bright on the 605 as it will on the Vision because of the 605's touchscreen layer

the most important thing I'll tell you though is that you should be able to get the 605WiFi 30GB for $240 from Archos's online store with the Discount code mspace

Collapse -
Battery reply
by raju0588 / September 23, 2007 3:49 PM PDT
In reply to: battery

Do you find the inability to remove the battery an annoying aspect of the 605. I'm not talking about when it has no charge left, I just don't want to have to pay $100 for someone to change my battery, when most batteries cost $40 or so and I can do it myself. I know batteries don't completely ware-out for a long time, but since I have a 1.5 hour-3 hour round trip to work everyday, god knows I can kill batteries in a matter of 8-10 months.
Apart from the battery, the Archos actually looks a bit smaller and thicker, and it also has the web-browser. The only pluses over the Vision in my view. Video viewing is important as well to me and Archos's can't hold up to Creative's screen, for the reason you mentioned. The screen is also the main difference between people who want the touch or the Archos. The touch has a much brigher screen than Archos.
Is the browser really worth it, in terms of start-up and speed?
Thanks again.

Collapse -
I'm not sure what you mean
by JonTitor / September 23, 2007 4:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Battery reply

I actually said the Archos screen is better than the Vision resolution and color wise
the only thing being the lower brightness due to the touchscreen layer
The reason the iPod Touch has better brightness is the glass screen

the 605 just came out, but I have an older Archos player for about 1 and a half years and the battery is still ok

the Web Browser is built by Opera, and in the 605 they included Flash so you can watch flash videos from sites like YouTube directly

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.