Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Exit windows xp repair install?

by cmpolis / August 22, 2006 4:17 PM PDT

Hey everyone,
I repaired windows and now it is doing the windows install thing. My CD got damaged and I cannot finish it. Is there a way to get through it by exiting or without the cd?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Exit windows xp repair install?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Exit windows xp repair install?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not unlike having a flat tire and no spare.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2006 9:47 PM PDT

Sorry, no. Unless you find a copy of the i386 or cab files on the hard disk you have to get a good copy of your XP CD. Too bad you didn't tell exactly which one as I could comment what other XP CDs could be used. For instance if I had a retail XP Home CD, the XP SP1 Home CD or XP SP2 Home CD has worked with my CD-Key. I can get a friend's copy without any copyright issues and use my CD-Key.

OEM CDs such as supplied with machines are not so interchangable.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks...
by cmpolis / August 23, 2006 4:18 PM PDT

Thanks for the help!

It is windows XP Pro SP1 2004 OEM. Is there a way to find the files on the hard drive because i am prompted for the first file and I can look on the hard drive. Also, I can get into command prompt via shift+f10, would that be able to help me?

Thanks

Collapse -
The OEM replacements have been about 35 bucks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 9:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks...

The OEM version is slightly different so you need the OEM SP1 or OEM SP2 CD.

If you can make it to the recovery console, you can look around with the CD and DIR command. This is not an offer to teach command line skills. That's for the days when the machine works and something you do to avoid trips to repair shops.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?