Computer Help forum

General discussion

Exchange backups take too long

by sameerlalani / November 9, 2006 8:21 PM PST

Hi all,

I am running a single exchange 2003 server on the network and am using windows backup to backup the information store and system state data to an external hard disk. The backups run fine however are taking an outragous amount of time. (About 8 hours for 30GB, further 8 hours for verification). I have scheduled maintenance tasks so that they run at different times to the backup with little effect. I have also trolled through the logs at the times the backups are running and they are error less. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Exchange backups take too long
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Exchange backups take too long
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
May be about right for the hardware involved.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2006 9:07 PM PST

Not a word about the hardware but I found better performance on dual core or before that dual CPU setups. Nothing in your post reveals where a hardware bottleneck could be since you wrote nothing besides it was slower than you would like.

How serious are you to speed this up? Will you get a DLT backup on fast SCSI, add RAM or go to a dual core server?

And the big question. Did you make the cheap call to Microsoft?

Bob

Collapse -
Backups
by colbox98 / November 10, 2006 2:22 AM PST

Can you provide more information about your setup? What kind of processing power you have, what type of hard drive you are backing up to (USB, Firewire, SCSI, etc) how much traffic your server sees? If your server is being heavily worked, and your hardware is not real robust it may just be over taxing your system and running slow. There could also be a bottleneck in your hardware somewhere. My guess would be the connection to your external hard drive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?