Laptops forum

Question

Excess RAM?

My current laptop is 7 y.o. and VERY sloooow. I'm looking at buying a new laptop and was considering the amount of RAM. I'm debating whether I should customize and buy it with more RAM or buy it standard and add aftermarket RAM. I've been told that for my needs (daily computing, spreadsheets, social media, streaming - no gaming or anything like that) an i5 processor with 8GB would be plenty. My fear/concern is eventually surpassing the 8GB threshold and my comp slowing down again. For that type of usage, is 8GB sufficient? Would 12GB be overkill?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Excess RAM?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Excess RAM?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: RAM

In reply to: Excess RAM?

I'm inclined to say that 8 GB is overkill already. I'm perfectly happy with 4 GB.

A thing to note:
Most motherboards perform better with an even number of equal sticks (check the specs of your new laptop at crucial.com). So 4 GB is best done as 2*2, while 8 GB is best done as 2*4. You can't do this with 12 GB. And 16 is surely overkill.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: RAM

In reply to: Re: RAM

Thank you Kees. My current came with 1G and I already maxed it out with 2G. I'm afraid that 4 may not be enough, but since my processor is obviously 7 y.o. as well, perhaps the new one will allow 4G to be enough. Processor is more responsible for speed than is RAM, correct? Like my name suggests, I'm a newbie.......

Collapse -
Hard disk speed is more important

Collapse -
Re: processor and RAM

The processor is involved in everything and determines overall speed. The amount of RAM only is important if the total set of programs you use at any given time needs more RAM then you have. But if your programs use 2 GB (task manager tells you) you won't notice the difference between having 4 Gb (2 GB unused) or 8 GB 96 GB unused).

The speed of the disk is important when you boot, or when you start a (big) program, install a program or do a full antivirus scan. That's much faster on a SSD. But there's hardly any difference in browsing or mailing or opening or saving a Word document.

Kees

Collapse -
Processor and RAM

In reply to: Re: processor and RAM

Don't forget that a web browser writes and reads to/from cache all the time. This page alone has over a 100 elements that need to be cached. So a SSD makes a difference for webbrowsing too, especially since hard disks struggle with small files the most.

Collapse -
Processor and RAM

In reply to: Processor and RAM

I know this is overkill and it doesn't have a SSD, but is this a good deal for $700? With my limited knowledge, this seems like a good deal for what you get. Yay or nay?

Processor & Memory:
4th generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor (2.4GHz)
16GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

Drives:
1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
SuperMulti DVD Burner

Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Communications:
802.11b/g/n WLAN
HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone

Graphics & Video:
17.3-inch diagonal HD LED-backlit Display (1600x900)
Intel HD Graphics

Audio:
Beats Audio

Keyboard:
Backlit Keyboard & Fingerprint Reader

Ports:
4x SuperSpeed USB 3.0
1x HDMI
1x Headphone out/ Microphone-in combo jack
Multi-Format Digital Media Card Reader

Power Supply:
6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Additional Information:
Dimensions: 16.38" W x 10.8" D x 1.21" H
Weight (Approximately): 6.15 lbs.

Collapse -
That's a fine desktop replacement.

In reply to: Processor and RAM

The only trouble seems to happen when they want to play a game.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
4GB is fine for most casual users

Here I'm running Linux Mint 17 with Firefox and Thunderbird email opened, and the new windows 10 evaluation booted up in the Virtual Box program and still have 1GB of RAM left unused.

http://glenburniemd.net/CNET/W10-Mint17-VBox-Tbird-FF28.png

Save on system RAM and instead put that extra into the best video card you can use, if you want gaming at all.

Collapse -
Answer
Excess Ram

Its better for you to buy a system and assembled the ram according to your need. Customizing a laptop is better then buying a laptop with more ram.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.