Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Excel: Printing worksheet titles

by Khornight / November 9, 2006 5:40 PM PST

Ok, the subject pretty much says it all... is it possible and how?

Basically I have been sent a work book with about 100 sheets and I need the names of all the sheets... copying them to one sheet would be good... maybe printing in the subject wasn't the rigth word... don't need them on a peice of paper, just a list that I can read.

And sorry, as before no VB scripts Sad
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Excel: Printing worksheet titles
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Excel: Printing worksheet titles
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: printing worksheet titles
by Kees Bakker / November 9, 2006 8:00 PM PST

Khornight,

I'm sorry also, but I think this can only be done automatically using Visual Basic. If you decide to use only the GUI-part of Excel (your choice, not mine: you paid for the whole package) it can't be done automatically.

What remains is doing it manually.
1. Select worksheet #1;
2. Repeat until done {right click>rename>ctrl-c ; switch to MS Word or any other tool like Notepad (alt-tab); ctrl-v; switch to Excel; select next worksheet}
3. Print or Save document you've assembled.

I think it can be done in less than half an hour. Only you can decide if it is worth the trouble.

Kees

Collapse -
Unfortunatly or fortunatly, it's at work not home!
by Khornight / November 15, 2006 3:14 AM PST

So I've not paid for it, and it's also the reason I can't use VB, as I'm not supposed to run Scripts on my work PC...

Comically, I could send it home (this being a very comercially sensative document) VB it at home and then send it back, and no-one would bat an eye-lid.

But try to write a script and you'll have IT breathing down your neck!

Unfortunatly company policy won't allow me to write a script without a request being signed in triplicate and sent the ravonous bugblater beast of thrall.

Collapse -
Two remarks.
by Kees Bakker / November 15, 2006 6:51 AM PST

1. Technically speaking, a macro and a script are different things. A script is something that needs the Windows scripting host to execute (written in VBscript or Javascript), a macro in MS Office is something written in Visual Basic for Applications, a language built into Excel itself. So, technically speaking, you won't be violating the rule as you tell it by running a macro if you aren't allowed to run a script.

2. If you need it for your work, and aren't allowed to do it automatically, your boss won't mind if you spend an hour or more to do it manually, would he? I agree it's a nuisance.

Kees

PS. Just a question: are there any rules about batchfiles? Not relevant at all, because you can't do this from a batchfile, I think.

PS2. A very interesting (although rather time-consuming if you're new to it) alternative: save the spreadsheet as an xml-file in Office 2007 (might even be possible in Office 2003, I don't know). Use a xml-query (unless there's a rule against using xml-queries, of course) to filter out the names of the worksheets.
Even using the find feature in Notepad on the xml-file might save time, although it's a rather crude xml-tool, of course. I suppose using Notepad isn't forbidden.

Collapse -
Cool.
by Khornight / November 15, 2006 6:48 PM PST
In reply to: Two remarks.

Thanks, as usual very helpful and informative... I guess the macro thing isn't really a script... definatly isn't blocked... cool.

Yeah, what my boss what and what I want are two different things, I'd much rather use the macro (coincidentally his name is Marco... anyway) and tell him I did it manually over an hour, whilst spending that hour emailing and surfing the net Happy

to PS: I beielve I can run bat's... but not actually tried. Will try during the next hour that I manage to save with a macro Happy

PS2, yeah I'm happy to learn something i don't know, yes excel 2003 can save as xml. I have no idea about xml, I'll need to find out what an xml-query is!

Notepad certianly is acceptable.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?