Computer Help forum

General discussion

Excel help

by arubabum / April 4, 2005 11:54 PM PDT

I do not have Excel on my system and I need to know if it is possible to change a read only xls ext download and save it as a workable spread sheet. It downloads as read only and it's not possible to tab thru the form and fill in necessary information.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Excel help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Excel help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why?
by Yew / April 5, 2005 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Excel help

Without some program that can edit Excel files, what's the point?

If you need such a program, consider OpenOffice.org's Calc program. It's not perfect, but it is free, and probably your only option besides buying a commercial program.

Collapse -
Let me share a story about Open Office.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2005 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Why?

My neighbor got a new laptop. They tried open office's Calc and said it wasn't right since some sheet was yellow and should be a white background. So off they went and purchased the 500 buck real thing.

Then install Office, load the spreadsheet from the CD and ... it's still yellow. That time I was there and showed them how to change the color.

We didn't talk about this further since they and I knew... Calc was working just fine and they were out 500 bucks.

Bob

Collapse -
How do you intend reading it?
by AussiePete / April 5, 2005 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Excel help

Firstly, how do you know the xls file is read only - and do you mean "password protect" or "read only" - if it is "read only" you can change this by right clicking in explorer and then properties - then unchecking the read only box. Your problem them seems with how then to translate the file if you haven't got another spreadsheet program that can translate for you. With a bit of luck if the open org has a translator you maybe in luck - if not, let me know and we maybe able to sort something out for you.
Regards,
Peter

Collapse -
Thanks for the info - however
by arubabum / April 6, 2005 2:40 AM PDT

I still can't get this to work. The form is an xls extension and I have downloaded an excel viewer to read it - however what I need to do is save it so I can add information to it. As it is right now - I can't tab or make any additions to the form. It's a expense report that needs to be filled in weekly and nothing I have tried works. It isn't password protected and I can't remember what I was doing when it came up with thie is a "read only" file. I know you mentioned a web site to try - so if you could send me the link, I will give it a shot. Thanks!

Collapse -
Very very odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2005 3:34 AM PDT

The viewer is just that. And I noted an application (Open Office) that would let you edit it.

What more can I offer?

Bob

Collapse -
Let me elaborate
by AussiePete / April 6, 2005 4:07 AM PDT

The XL viewer program, as Bob has said, is just that ie a viewer only - it is the viewer program that reads the file in the "read only" mode and prevents you from editing the contents. Microsoft consider they are doing you a favour by supplying a viewer only program so you got a fat chance of being able to edit it and save.
To get a free spreadsheet program goto :-
http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/instructions.html
Regards,
Peter

Collapse -
I can
by PudgyOne / April 6, 2005 7:00 PM PDT

I can open Excel products with Microsoft Works and edit it. For the people that I send it to, I then have to save it as an Excel product.

Collapse -
MS Works = MS Office
by AussiePete / April 6, 2005 9:55 PM PDT
In reply to: I can

Works is just a scaled down version of MS Office - a poor man's Office if you like - although it usually comes bundled with a computer it is not FREE - There are lots of other programs that can import XL file, such as Lotus123, but as far as I know there is only one that is free, namely the one from openoffice.org
Regards,
Peter

Collapse -
To add to your free list.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2005 10:39 PM PDT
In reply to: MS Works = MS Office

I think 604suite is another. But I stick to Open Office since SUN made an internal commitment to eat their own dog food.

The story is simple. SUN sells ... SUN computers. But what does the staff and salespeople run and use? Windows and Microsoft Office. Scott M. finally saw that this made no sense to sell a machine and system that you would not use yourself.

The sea change at SUN has helped to push Open Office forward and the new version has a database and more.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the great adive
by arubabum / April 7, 2005 2:04 AM PDT

Sorry - but I didn't originally understand the Open Office was a program I could download. I really appreciate the help.

Collapse -
To further your knowledge...
by Edward ODaniel / April 7, 2005 2:14 AM PDT

since you state " but as far as I know there is only one that is free, namely the one from openoffice.org", there are some others.

602PCSuite http://www.software602.com/products/pcs/ is pretty good and a much smaller download (~28 meg) for those on dialup. It is only free for non-commercial use but that is pretty normal. There is a link to complete documentation for the suite on the download link.

EasyOffice http://www.tucows.com/preview/198735.html is also MSOffice compatible but it is a bigger download than OpenOffice (97 meg for version 8 vs 86 meg for OpenOffice 2 beta) but it really offers a whole lot more. This link shows what is available in the free version and everything additional in the paid version. www.e-press.com/downloads/freeware.html (that "free" filter rears its head so that one needs copy and paste Wink )

Choices are always good and size of the download can be important for someone on a 28.8 dialup.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.