General discussion

Excel Disabling Macros

Hi, I have Excel97 (yes I know it's old). I have a worksheet that when I open it it says the workbook you are opening contains macros and asks to disable or enable Macros. I don't think there are any macros in it. I don't even know how to make a macro. How can I find it/them and delete them? I alway say disable. This workbook has 10 worksheets in it. I went to Tools-Macros but it didn't show any.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Excel Disabling Macros
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Excel Disabling Macros
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: macro's

If you can't find them and they aren't needed, try making a new workbook and copying all of the 10 worksheets 1 by 1 to it. Good change the new worksheet won't give that message.

If it only does after copying, say, worksheet #6, you know that somehow that's special. Then experiment further. In stead of copying the worksheet, for example, you could copy the contents to an empty worksheet. That might make a difference.

Kees

- Collapse -
If you are sure

that this workbook is from a reputable source, then the next time you open it click Enable, then check for Macros.

Mark

- Collapse -
A reputable source?!

I MADE IT.

- Collapse -
Wish I could edit my reply....

Just wanted to add....

I guess I'm not reputable. You can't trust anybody anymore.

- Collapse -
LOL!

Sorry but I had to ask. Spreadsheets are often transmitted around to users, eg by email, and that is when we have to be careful.

In that case I don't know why it is asking for permission to enable macros. Kees probably has the right idea, but also, if you just enable when opening then you can see if any macros are listed.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info