Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Excel Cell alignment

by malthos / January 24, 2006 8:36 PM PST

Howdy everybody,
I use Excel everyday at work, & I prefer to use shortcut keys & hotkeys rather than the mouse, e.g. ctrl + C,V,X or A, alt + tab, winkey + M or L to name a few of the many I employ. Here's something I can't work out:

How do you align the contents of a cell using shortcut keys or hotkeys?

Perhaps there are different combinations or shortcuts for the three alignments, left, right & center, or perhaps there is a single shortcut which you can use and on continuous pressing it will cycle through the alignments.
I realise that this may not actually be possible, but if it is, please help me, I hate having to use the mouse to select one of those buttons.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Excel Cell alignment
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Excel Cell alignment
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: excel shortcuts
by Kees Bakker / January 24, 2006 10:33 PM PST
In reply to: Excel Cell alignment
Collapse -
Allignment as in format cell...
by Papa Echo / January 25, 2006 5:38 PM PST

allignment>Text control ? Warp text, Shrink to fit, merge cells ?

Collapse -
keystrokes to cell text alignment
by cledwards / January 28, 2006 2:21 AM PST

context key, f, tab - use arrow and enter keys to select alignment options

the context key is between the alt and ctrl keys to the right of the spacebar on full size keyboards

Collapse -
Alignment
by malthos / January 29, 2006 5:58 PM PST

By alignment I mean text/contents aligned either left right or centre. Using the content key then f is a possibility, but it's really slow. I was hoping that someone might know a quick shortcut or combination, rather than having to bring up the Format Cells Menu.

Collapse -
No need to bring up...
by Papa Echo / January 29, 2006 8:38 PM PST
In reply to: Alignment

the format cell menu. Text allignment can be done at the Formating Toolbar, as in MS Word. It is almost as quick as using short cut or hot keys, if not quicker.

Collapse -
cell alignment
by linda39 / February 3, 2006 4:03 AM PST
In reply to: Alignment

ok. There is another faster way but still through the cell alignment box. There should bea key at the bottom of your keyboard between to the righthand Ctrl and the windows key hit that key when your in the cell you want aligned and then F and the format box will pop up then you tab and use your arrow keys to select your option.

Collapse -
A way to centralise or left align, but not right align
by richardp123 / January 30, 2006 8:42 PM PST

Hey there,

Not exactly the answer you're looking for I'm afraid (i.e. aren't hotkeys as such) but worth bearing in mind maybe, if the entries you're adjusting are text-only values.

During text value entry into a cell, begin your entry with one of the following characters to force horizontal cell alignment:

' (apostrophe mark) - Left Align
^ (caret/circumflex) - Centre Align
" (quotation/speech mark) - Right Align

cheers
Richard

Collapse -
Using just the keyboard to do cell alignment in Excel
by linda39 / February 3, 2006 3:46 AM PST

You use Alt/V or Alt/H. This takes you to the toolbar. Use your arrow keys to go to Format. Cell alignment should be the top one. If not, tab down within Format to get to cell alignment Hit Enter. Use arrow keys to go to Alignment tab. Tab down to Horizontal or Vertical. Arrow to go left/right/center ect. Hit enter. Tab again to align the other one. Hit enter and your aligned. Good luck. Let me know if this worked for you.

Collapse -
Re: alignment using keyboard only
by Kees Bakker / February 3, 2006 6:10 AM PST

Linda,

I still prefer the way Microsoft advised: record a macro (and keep it in personal.xls, your personal macro file). Then, for example, ctrl-shift-R = right align, and same for ctrl-shift-C or ctrl-shift-L. Or use any other shortcut that's free or you don't use and is easy to remember for you.

Recording a macro is fast and easy. No need to know how to program, just point and click and do.

Kees

Collapse -
Excel Alignment
by hahnwf / February 26, 2006 3:01 PM PST

Dear Sir,

If you do not want to use mouse for aligning cells in excel, do not use mouse. You can align cell in excel with the help of keyboard only. But, for that just press Alt key and then press Ctrl + Tab keys to move among toolbars. Select formating toolbar using this method. Select cell alignment button with the help of arrow keys.

Thanking You,

Vishnu H. Thakor

Collapse -
marvellous
by richardp123 / February 27, 2006 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: Excel Alignment

Only about a month late. Do you work full time for Microsoft support or something?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?