Android forum

General discussion

EXCEL & Android

by llwas / February 25, 2011 10:36 AM PST

I am an Excel power user, thinking of using an Android Tablet for field work (data entry and interpretation), with pre-designed, complex computational spread sheets.

Who has experience?

Any issues?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: EXCEL & Android
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: EXCEL & Android
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Considering Google Cloud Connect for Office?
by macmcf / February 25, 2011 11:33 AM PST
In reply to: EXCEL & Android

I have no personal experience with this, but Google announced a new product yesterday called Google Cloud Connect for Microsoft Office. This provides free add-ins for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint on PCs (only) which allow them to essentially act like Google Apps applications, i.e., 1) when a change is made to a file the change is stored on remote servers more-or-less instantly, and 2) the owner may choose to share the file with others with or without write privileges, allowing collaborative modification in real time, and 3) changes can be seen and effected by Android devices. Sound like something that you could use.
See http://googledocs.blogspot.com/2011/02/google-cloud-connect-for-microsoft.html for a start.

Collapse -
Uncertain Connection
by llwas / February 25, 2011 10:44 PM PST

I will be working in areas with Uncertain Connection to the Internet. Currently I use a laptop, but it is a lot to lug around and sitting to type is problematic. A tablet would be great if it has the functionality. Something light and rugged like a Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Collapse -
I don't know Android well enough...
by macmcf / February 26, 2011 12:34 AM PST
In reply to: Uncertain Connection

I'm a newby to Android. I just got my phone 3 days ago, & I'm am trying to find out what it can do. I don't know whether you could download a file from Google Apps and edit it offline on your Android pad: If so, the Cloud Connect might be an ideal solution, since it allows you to make edits offline and to merge your edits with your base document when you reconnect (or not, as you wish). If you can't download and edit, you're probably stuck with a netbook.

Collapse -
Have you looked at DocumentsToGo (Full Version)?
by macmcf / February 27, 2011 12:20 PM PST
In reply to: Uncertain Connection

DocsToGo supports password protected Word & Excel 97-2007 files as well as Google Docs, so you could presumably download your files to a tablet, edit them, & re-post them to the cloud when you got back in range of Internet. Could be worth the $15 to play with it.

Collapse -
Re: Excel and Android
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 25, 2011 10:55 PM PST

Let's see the system requirements. For Office 2010 it's
"Windows XP with Service Pack (SP) 3 (32-bit), Windows Vista with SP1 (32-bit or 64-bit), Windows Server 2003 SP2 (32-bit or 64-bit) and MSXML 6.0 (32 bit Office only), Windows Server 2008 or later (32-bit or 64-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit). Terminal Server and Windows on Windows (WOW) (which allows installing 32-bit versions of Office 2010 on 64-bit operating systems, excluding Windows XP 64) are supported."
See, no Android mentioned. So the combination is a no-go. Better find a Windows 7 laptop, or possibly netbook if you can do your work with a small screen and an rather unusable keyboard.

Kees

Collapse -
I think so too
by Sovereign Forum moderator / February 26, 2011 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Excel and Android

because it is after all a phone with extra features, not a full-featured computer with phone capabilities Happy

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Re: Excel and Android
by toolmom / October 20, 2011 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Excel and Android

A few sites that you can go to for Excel capabilities is: http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/oliveofficeeditor
And
http://www.androidtapp.com/documents-to-go/
And
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mobisystems.editor.office_registered&hl=en

Just be sure that the app is compatable with your tablet. I have a Cruz Velocity T103 series and can use OfficeSuite to view MS Office documents and spreadsheets, but can't edit them. Their support site shows that the Pro version is incompatible with my tablet series, so I am still searching for a freeware option. Cruz recommended OliveOffice Editor, but as there is a problem with my tablet, it won't install. Hope these options help you.

Doreen

Collapse -
I haven't had any experiences but
by orlbuckeye / February 28, 2011 12:17 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?