Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Excel and Word integrated

by RoFlo / November 19, 2003 12:19 AM PST

We need a tool that will combine Excel files and Word files into one document. We currently use Adobe Acrobat, but it is time consuming and has limitations. We compile hundreds of documents into one and page number the docs. We need a tool that will do this for us.
Is there such a thing? MS Binder used to do this. But it no longer available and doesn't work with XP.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Excel and Word integrated
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Excel and Word integrated
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Excel and Word integrated. Isn't it already?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2003 12:44 AM PST

For years I could insert an Excel sheet into my document.

In the end I would have a finished document with Excel driven data in the document. A final print to a PDF would lock the report into one piece to be distributed.

"We compile hundreds of documents into one and page number the docs. We need a tool that will do this for us.
Is there such a thing?"

Have you considered getting a programmer on staff to develop your application to automate this?

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Excel and Word integrated. Isn't it already?
by RoFlo / November 19, 2003 12:54 AM PST

We really need a better way of collecting and combining the various files. Imagine 100 Excel files, ranging from 2 to 10 worksheets, and 20 Word files. Now, imagine printing all those to a PDF file, page numbering and linking throughout the PDF file.
We have to have a hard copy along with the electronic version.
That's what we do. There has to be a better way.

Collapse -
Exactly what a programmer could help you with.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2003 1:21 AM PST

Not every tool exists for every need. If you have just one document to build, you do it and move on. But a few companies have data flying in from multiple sources and will write a custom program to pull it all together into a "report."

If you need the final output to be in PDF, then Adobe has programming "hooks" to help do that linking.

What you have to do is the accounting end of the decision. Will a tool ease this and payback on the bottom line?

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Excel and Word integrated
by C1ay / November 20, 2003 7:57 PM PST

That's one of the many things M$ created VB for....

Collapse -
Excel format converted to word document
by tmresearch / March 24, 2007 2:42 PM PDT

I have been using Excel for many years in legal research. I just picked up a client who wants deed transfer transactions printed in the local newspaper. I tried the Word Table to collect the data and then convert to Text which is what the paper wants. However it is much slower in Word than with Excel where I could have the same builder and subdivision in a cell that I did not have to retype. I have to go through about 3,000 deed book docs to get this info and collecting in Word is tedious. I would like to go back to Excel and then convert to Word. Example:
Acme Builders to John Doe $126,000 Lot 3 Clearview Heights Subd
Acme Builders to Mary Smith $53,000 Lot 2 Clearview Heights Subd

Excel would complete the builder, put "$" sign in front of amount and complete "Clearview Heights subd". Got any suggestions other than a programer????

Tks from a newby on this site

Collapse -
It's not very clear to me ...
by Kees Bakker / March 25, 2007 5:10 AM PDT

but I can imagine it's tedious indeed. Making structured data from unstructured data always is. The more structure, the easier it is to do with macro's (in Word), formulas and macro's (in Excel) or any other tool. And, of course, the easier it is for a programmer who can write code in VBA (in Word and Excel).

It all amounts to time and money. Find somebody to do it manually in 200 hours at $7,50 an hour. That's $1500. Find a programmer willing to do it for $1400? Take it into consideration, but only pay when he's ready. Find a programmer willing to do it for $2500. Don't do it than, unless it has to be ready within a shorter time span than 5 weeks.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

VIDEO

Do you have Google Home?

If you don't like the stock appearance of Google Home, here are two quick and easy ways to make it truly yours.