Samsung forum

Question

Exactly 3:01am every night my TV screen goes black

by PJA2727 / February 22, 2014 2:35 AM PST

Samsung 40" LED TV (UN40ES6500FXZA). For a couple of months now, at exactly 3:01am almost every night my screen goes blank. All timers are set to "off". One or two nights out of about 8 nights it doesn't happen. So I doubt it is some sort of timer setting anyway (or else it would go black every single night). I thought the TV had turned off but later realized that the screen was black. If I clicked on the volume button I could see the numbers of the volume going up and down. Which would mean that the TV isn't off. Anyway I turned off the TV, turned it back on and everything is right again until 3:01am exactly, the next day, where the same thing happens again. I talked with Samsung on a chat line on the internet and called Samsung support and they used their remote management program to fix the problem. (Their fix didn't work either). I tried resetting, factory defaulting, and everything else I could find online and in talking to Samsung, but still have the same problem. Actually I could live with the problem but my warranty is about to run out and we all know how that works. This small thing will turn into a big thing right after the warranty runs out. This black screen has happened at other times of the day but 95% of the times it happens at 3:01am. If I didn't work nights and watch TV late I would never know that I had this problem. Maybe one of the Samsung workers will know this. Can it be fixed and will the warranty still cover it after the original warranty ends, being the problem started before the warranty ended?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Exactly 3:01am every night my TV screen goes black
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Exactly 3:01am every night my TV screen goes black
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It appears that smart tvs can update on a schedule.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2014 4:06 AM PST

I see freeview updates at night with deleterious annoying side effects. Frankly I'd call it in and start collecting support numbers. If they don't fix it inside your tolerance level then move to return or exchange requests.
Bob

Collapse -
Exactly 3:01am
by PJA2727 / February 22, 2014 12:22 PM PST

Thanks R. Proffitt for your quick answer. I was wondering what you meant by, start collecting support numbers? Do you mean numbers like the Trans Code I got from my call in to Samsung, and my Issue ID number from the Chat on the internet? Or support telephone numbers that could fix this problem? Also I never heard of these, freeview updates at night, that you mentioned. Do they run them at 3:01am I wonder. I can't seem to get a straight answer when talking to Samsung. I had the feeling that I wasn't really talking to a tech on the phone. There seemed to be someone who could run a test remotely, but when I asked a question they seemed to be guessing at an answer, or they would but me on hold and go get an answer from some one else. Anyway the thing that really baffles me is this 3:01am thing. You would think that it would be a whole lot easier to track down a problem that always happened at exactly 3:01am. The down side of that is that any adjustment or fix I try, I have to wait to 3am to test it out. I'm starting to think that these freeview updates have something to do with it. How do I find out about them? It seems that I'm spending a lot more hours tracking down this problem then I do actually watching TV.

Collapse -
Exactly 3:01am
by PJA2727 / February 22, 2014 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: Exactly 3:01am

Now a new twist to this problem. When setting up my TV after I first got it, I set it up as I always have. I plugged the power plug into the cable box and the cable box into the wall outlet. Reasons - 1. Lack of wall outlets. 2. Only needed one remote and one button turned on the cable box and TV at the same time. Never a problem. One of the things Samsung suggested, when I explained the 3:01am black out problem, was to plug the TV straight into the wall outlet. They said that they fixed my problem (not) but these cable boxes weren't big enough for these big TVs. So when their fix didn't fix my problem I found a way to plug my TV directly into a wall socket. 3:01am came and the TV went blank again, but where as before I could just turn the TV back on again and everything was alright, now the TV wouldn't come back on. At 3 in the morning there didn't appear to be much I could do. So I plugged the power plug back into the cable box and low and behold everything worked again. None of this makes sense. Why it goes off at exactly 3:01am. Why it won't turn back on when plugged directly into a wall socket. Why it will turn back on when plugged into a cable box. It seems to me if it was a faulty capacitor, or it was somehow over heating, or some kind of faulty or broken wiring, that it would go blank at all different times, or that it wouldn't come back on, or that it wouldn't come back on when plugged into a cable box. None of this seems logical.

Collapse -
Yes. Transaction Codes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2014 12:13 AM PST
In reply to: Exactly 3:01am

As to finding out more, ASK Samsung. I do not have access to source code and more but it's the suspect. If they won't fix then you have to take it to the next level.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.