HolidayBuyer's Guide

Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

EXACT LINES PER PAGE / HEADERS

by LanFisher / November 8, 2004 12:51 AM PST

I'm a court reporter, and my transcripts require EXACTLY 32 lines per page, with Courier New 12 point font.

In order to achieve this, I have created a template with the top and bottom page margins carefully adjusted so that I do get 32 lines per page. However, I've recently been going back and forth between two computers, both with Word 2000, and the lines per page change.

I've checked to make sure that every single setting is identical (margins, gutters, header font & paragraph formatting, all pagination settings disabled, 'Before' and 'After' point spacing set to zero, etc.), yet the lines per page are still different. Why??

Here are the Page Setup values I'm using:

TOP: 0.63
BOTTOM: 1.00
LEFT: 1.25
RIGHT: 1.25
GUTTER: 0.00
HEADER: 0.50
FOOTER: 0.50

This gives me exactly 32 lines per page on one computer. However, when I take this to another computer, it only gives me 31 lines per page, and I then have to adjust the bottom margin to 0.7 to get 32 lines per page.

Does anyone know why this would happen? The computers are IDENTICAL models, the operating systems are identical, the versions of Word are identical. I've quadruple-checked that every single setting is identical, which I shouldn't need to anyway, since the formatting should already be inherent in the .doc file itself.

Of course, Microsoft, in all its wonderful logic, offers a "Lines Per Page" option to users who have their Microsoft Office set up in EAST ASIAN LANGUAGE mode, but NOT ENGLISH. Why not offer this in English as well??? This is driving me nuts.

One more thing, just as a suggestion to any Microsoft developers who might be reading, it would also be nice if I could change page headers based on page number ranges, rather than screwing around with section breaks. If I have to go back and make a small edit somewhere in a transcript, a section break can easily get bumped to another page, therefore bumping headers onto pages where they shouldn't be. Section breaks are such a pain! I should just be able to click on a header and have the following options:

Apply Header To:
Current page only (_)
-or-
Page Range (___-___)

Whoever programmed headers & footers to be dependant on section breaks is a *******.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: EXACT LINES PER PAGE / HEADERS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: EXACT LINES PER PAGE / HEADERS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: EXACT LINES PER PAGE / HEADERS
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2004 1:01 AM PST
Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / November 8, 2004 5:16 AM PST

LanFisher,

1. Do you use exactly the same printer driver also? That is what matters.

2. Did you already consider to use Words line numbering feature? It counts from 1 to 32 automatically, so you can see that you're on line 18 and still have 14 to go, which is better than you have now, I should say. I've never used it, but even my Word 97 has it. See http://www.uwec.edu/help/Word03/linenum.htm

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
by LanFisher / November 10, 2004 12:55 AM PST

Legal Pleading Wizard? Great stuff! Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Kees -- thanks so much for the info about the printer driver. That would make complete sense. The computers are identical in every way, however they are in two different offices with different printers assigned.

Thanks again folks. I'm glad I posted here. The info in your replies are pure gold.

Lan

Collapse -
by ChuckT / November 10, 2004 8:58 AM PST

You are missing some information. I set up an 8.5x11 page and got 49 lines per page.

So, then I thought, OH! He is a court reporter, so this is probably on "Legal" size paper (14") so I adjusted for that and got 65 lines on a page.

So, then I thought maybe he is using double line spacing, and I adjusted for that and got 33 lines per page.

You are not telling us what size page you have, which orientation you are using (if it is other than portrait), and what is your line spacing.

You already said that your paragraph "Before" and "After" spacing is 0 points. But what line spacing are you using?

By the way, having the Header/Footer at any dimension does not matter if you are not using them.
For example, go in and adjust both for 2.5"
As long as you aren't using them (something in those Header or Footer areas) the line count would still be the same.
But go in and View>Header and Footer, and place some text there and you will now lose 4" of vertical page length.

Collapse -
by LindaBrown21 / November 18, 2004 11:53 PM PST

Hi, Lan
I'm a fellow court reporter who used to use Word. What I think you may find a lot easier is to click "format," go to paragraph, indents and spacing, line spacing, Exactly "at" 32 pts. Next to to the other tab "Line & page breaks," deselect "widow/orphan control." Occasionally when typing it may drop a line, but all you have to do is wait until you're done, select the entire document and then redo the above. It worked fine for me. I had to go back WP, though, because we're doing e-transcripts and have to have an ASCII file for that, Word won't do ASCII at least not for e-transcript use. Good luck. Let me know how it works out.
Linda

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.