Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Ex-Prez. Carter on Jay Leno last night 11/22/05?

by Willy / November 21, 2005 11:46 PM PST

Prez. Carter clearly explained in his view the problems and/or direction this current admin. is taking is wrong and undermines what past admin. have done for the course of America. He sees a flawed direction and what has become more of the rich/poor, enviroment/non-enviroment, regilous right and govt. interaction and I'm right you're wrong attitute. While there to hawk his new book, he really explained in clear detail and in short order what America faces in light of the current admin. direction.
WOW, well said and well put. he truly is a better ex-Prez than past but a far better person for it. He's not red or blue, right or left, super regilous or Dem. or Rep. but explains as a knowlegdable person of seeing what has become of this admin. not in the best interests(flawed) of this nation. Again, wow, of course these are my words as I remember.

Respectifully submitted -----Willy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ex-Prez. Carter on Jay Leno last night 11/22/05?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ex-Prez. Carter on Jay Leno last night 11/22/05?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Monday morning quarterbacking
by TONI H / November 21, 2005 11:51 PM PST

which seems to be typical of all former Presidents....look at HIS history and you'll know the guy was a joke from day one.

TONI

Collapse -
Hardly...
by Willy / November 21, 2005 11:58 PM PST

A past commander of US nuculer submarine can hardly be called a joke. Plus one to rise to such high office and in light of this Prez. calling, I'll take Carter any day. he parlays his wisdom spareingly and rarely ever critized any past Prez. but to do so now is seen by me as a more clear indication that something is amiss in Washington now.

nay say I -----Willy

Collapse -
Jimmy Carter
by hh / November 22, 2005 12:37 AM PST
In reply to: Hardly...

Despite being a decent man, his presidency will always be remembered by his economic failures and foreign policy flops, specially vis-a-vis Iran.
His humanitarian and peace efforts are admired, but he did not have what it takes to be an effective American president. He walked softly but he did not carry a big stick.
I think instead of criticizing the administration he should continue his work for humanitarian causes. After all I don't believe any president will be seeking his advice in world affairs.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'm opposed to restricting free speech to Bush's adviso
by grandpaw7 / November 22, 2005 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: Jimmy Carter
Collapse -
Who is doing that? And how is that relevant to this thread?
by EdH / November 22, 2005 6:35 AM PST

Hmmmmm??

Collapse -
Are you sure...
by J. Vega / November 22, 2005 12:38 AM PST

Are you shure about Carter commanding a sub? I thought his highest position in one was as an XO.

Collapse -
Military service is...
by Willy / November 22, 2005 12:42 PM PST
In reply to: Are you sure...

You're right, he rose to rank of Lt. but supervised some of the details of new submarines as i know it. Thanks, i reread some articles and found this...
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

"When Admiral Hyman G. Rickover (then a captain) started his program to create nuclear powered submarines, Carter wanted to join the program and was interviewed by Rickover. On 1 June 1952, Carter was promoted to Lieutenant. Selected by Rickover, Carter was detached on 16 October 1952 from K-1 for duty with the U. S. Atomic Energy Commission, Division of Reactor Development in Schenectady, New York. From 3 November 1952 to 1 March 1953, he served on temporary duty with the Naval Reactors Branch, U. S. Atomic Energy Commission, Washington, DC to assist "in the design and development of nuclear propulsion plants for naval vessels."

From 1 March to 8 October, Carter was preparing to become the engineering officer for the nuclear power plant to be placed in USS Seawolf (SSN 575), one of the first submarines to operate on atomic power. He assisted in setting up training for the enlisted men who would serve on Seawolf."

adios -----Willy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) He's an embarrassment.
by Kiddpeat / November 22, 2005 5:29 AM PST
Collapse -
Monday morning quarterbacking
by grandpaw7 / November 22, 2005 5:41 AM PST

seems to be typical of all former Presidents, and forum posters. Monday morning quarterbacking is sometimes called learning from history. And calling someone a joke is a good way of avoiding having to show that you know what you are talking about.

Collapse -
If you bothered to actually
by TONI H / November 22, 2005 5:50 AM PST

read my post and NOT focus only on my personal viewpoint of Carter, you would have also noticed that I said "check HIS history" and you will find he was a joke.

I'm not here to give history lessons....if you don't want to look up Carter's "accomplishments" while in office, don't bother. However, you are old enough to remember him as President, are you not? Were YOU impressed with his abilities?

TONI

Collapse -
Monday morning quarter backing is NOT typical of
by Kiddpeat / November 22, 2005 8:06 AM PST

past presidential behaviour. When did Ford, Reagan, Bush, or even Nixon engage in such a thing? It became typical for Carter and Clinton.

Collapse -
A joke, Toni?
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / November 22, 2005 12:22 PM PST

He had the respect and admiration of our allies and the world, unlike the guy currently in the White House. I'd say "clown," except there's nothing at all humorous about the damage he has done and continues to do to our country in every imaginable way.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Yah, Jimmie had a lot of respect. That's why the Iranians
by Kiddpeat / November 22, 2005 12:35 PM PST
In reply to: A joke, Toni?

invaded our embassy and seized the staff. He responded by doing .......... nothing! Now we can see how the 'vision' of a leftist works. You guys see the world as you want it to be, not as it is.

Collapse -
?undermines what past admin. have done ?
by kmarchal / November 22, 2005 12:33 AM PST

Declaring War on the United States (1992-1996)
Old Terrorism to the New: The First World Trade Center Bombing
Adaptation--and Nonadaptation--in the Law Enforcement Community
Bombings in Kenya and Tanzania
USS Cole

We believe the 9/11 attacks revealed four kinds of failures: in imagination, policy, capabilities, and management.

Who?s imagination?
Who?s policy?
Who?s capabilities?
And ?Who's management??

He's not red or blue, right or left, super regions or Dem. or Rep. (he is just wrong)

(The people of the United States hoped to enjoy a peace dividend, as U.S. spending on national security was cut following the end of the Soviet military threat.)

---------------------------------------------
we have tried to remember that we write with the benefit and the handicap of hindsight. Hindsight can sometimes see the past clearly?with 20/20 vision. But the path of what happened is so brightly lit that it places everything else more deeply into shadow. Commenting on Pearl Harbor,Roberta Wohlstetter found it ?much easier after the event to sort the relevant from the irrelevant signals.After the event,of course,a signal is always crystal clear; we can now see what disaster it was signaling since the disaster has ccurred. But before the event it is obscure and pregnant with conflicting meanings.?1 As time passes,more documents become available,and the bare facts of what happened become still clearer.Yet the picture of how those things happened becomes harder to reimagine, as that past world, with its preoccupations and uncertainty,recedes and the remaining memories of it become colored by what happened and what was written about it later.With that caution in mind,we asked ourselves,before we judged others,whether the insights that seem apparent now would really have been meaningful at the time,given the limits of what people then could reasonably have known or done. We believe the 9/11 attacks revealed four kinds of failures: in imagination, policy, capabilities, and management. 11.1 IMAGINATION Historical Perspective The 9/11 attack was an event of surpassing disproportion. America had suffered surprise attacks before?Pearl Harbor is one well-known case, the 1950 Chinese attack in Korea another. But these were attacks by major powers. While by no means as threatening as Japan?s act of war, the 9/11 attack was in some ways more devastating. It was carried out by a tiny group of people, 339

To understand these events, we attempted to reconstruct some of the con-text of the 1990s.Americans celebrated the end of the Cold War with a mixture of relief and satisfaction. The people of the United States hoped to enjoy a peace dividend, as U.S. spending on national security was cut following the end of the Soviet military threat.

Collapse -
Is this the same Ex-Prez
by duckman / November 22, 2005 4:13 AM PST

that saw UFO's ?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thats just childish duckman.
by grimgraphix / November 22, 2005 4:17 AM PST
Collapse -
Hang on, let's run with this a minute
by Josh K / November 22, 2005 4:31 AM PST

We can apply "the Duckman principle" to other ex-Presidents. For example, any time anyone here quotes Bush I, you could respond with "Isn't he the one who ralphed on the Japanese prime minister?"

Wink

Collapse -
I don't know, but he did arrange to give nucs to North Korea
by Kiddpeat / November 22, 2005 5:32 AM PST

under the watchful eye of Big Bill Clinton. Unfortunately, Clinton's 'eye' was directed elsewhere.

Collapse -
He is not the one
by grandpaw7 / November 22, 2005 5:47 AM PST

that saw Iraqis welcoming us with open arms. How many deaths have we had from UFOs?

Collapse -
How would we know?
by Kiddpeat / November 22, 2005 8:07 AM PST
In reply to: He is not the one

The Shadow knows.

Collapse -
Missed it but something I like about Jimmy
by Steven Haninger / November 22, 2005 4:28 AM PST

He's a good person and has certainly been active after his term in office. Like others, I don't think he was the best president.... a hard worker but not the best leader, IMO. So we live and learn and move on. That we glance back is fine but staring back get us nowhere. Here's hoping he can be best remembered for his honesty and adherence to his principles.

Collapse -
Wish there was more...
by Willy / November 22, 2005 12:50 PM PST

"Here's hoping he can be best remembered for his honesty and adherence to his principles."
\\\\\\\\\\\\

Which is alot nowadays as recent presidents got into scandels, resigned, don't inhale, read my lips, I'm not a crook, etc. so let's say IMHO, that's good, very good. Didn't leave office to make speaking tours for money, He was in debt when he left office and got started in the homes business for people. What recent president offers anything but lipservice(good or bad) and awaits to open thier library. i exclude Reagan for health reasons.

adios -----Willy

Collapse -
One more reason I watch Letterman although he's no better
by Kiddpeat / November 22, 2005 5:28 AM PST

than Leno in this respect. Did anyone see McCain on Letterman in the last few days? Letterman tried to get McCain to disparage President Bush. First, McCain commented that there was a reason why he doesn't go on shows like Letterman's. Then he delivered a solid endorsement of President Bush and his leadership. I lost track of Letterman in the exchange, but I vaguely recall that he didn't look happy.

Why do people who are successful in one field (comedy), in part by playing a buffoon, think that success confers intellectual superiority on them? If they had the wit, they would be embarrassed.

Collapse -
New what to expect of Carter. I found it...
by caktus / November 22, 2005 6:32 AM PST

disapointing that Leno let his show be used for a political soap box, much less to dog our Commander'in Chief.

Carter's a good fella. I just wish he'd stop showing his ignorance. It's like a candy striper telling a heart surgeon how to perform a heart surgery.

Collapse -
Thanks for your expert surgical opinion !
by grimgraphix / November 22, 2005 6:42 AM PST

and when were you president ?

grim

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Any time :))))))
by caktus / November 22, 2005 12:15 PM PST
Collapse -
He should stick to building Habitat for Humanity homes
by Evie / November 22, 2005 6:20 AM PST

His criticism of a President is OUT OF LINE. PERIOD.

He's not right or left, Dem or Rep? You're kidding right??

Collapse -
I am thoroughly impressed
by grimgraphix / November 22, 2005 6:46 AM PST

I am thoroughly impressed how so many of you can claim that the ex-president of the US is lacking in knowledge of contemporary politics. If you could give me a list of the books that make all of you so qualified I will make sure and pass them on to President Carter.

Thanks for taking the time out to educate the less informed. Wink

grim

Collapse -
And how is it that you are so well informed? It was just a
by Kiddpeat / November 22, 2005 8:11 AM PST

few days ago you wanted to tell 'Rummy' Rumsfeld, and President Bush how to conduct the war.

Carter should have stuck to Peanuts.

Collapse -
thats "High tech" Rummy, Kid.
by grimgraphix / November 22, 2005 2:13 PM PST

And I said rummy wanted to win the war of hearts and minds with technology rather than troops. Something I keep seeing repeated in the media including an interview of richard holbrook on charlie rose tonight.

grim

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.