Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Ewido found ''Trojan.Icq smiley.e'' in CCleaner....

by bently / October 20, 2006 2:39 PM PDT

Using XP home, sp2, all updates.

Just scanned computer using EWIDO.

Found ''Trojan.Icq smiley.e'' in C:\Ccleaner and also in D:\System Volume Information.

The option for action had Quarantine, changed it to DELETE. Is it better to Quarantine, or to Delete?

Ewido gave a message, could not delete as ''Trojan.Icq smiley.e'' was imbedded in the program, and to get rid of it, it had to DELETE the whole program, which I did.

Curious how ''Trojan.Icq smiley.e'' would be embedded in CCleaner???

BTW, what does ''Trojan.Icq smiley.e'' do? Googled it and did not find answer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ewido found ''Trojan.Icq smiley.e'' in CCleaner....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ewido found ''Trojan.Icq smiley.e'' in CCleaner....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ben, I Had A Similar Situation Last Week..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 20, 2006 2:51 PM PDT

Although I don't use CCleaner therefore the detection didn't occur there, Trojan.IcqSmile.e was also found in my System Volume section.. Although I'm still not sure it isn't a false positive of some type, I simply disabled System Restore temporarily and it went away..

I'm guessing it's a registry detection of some type..If it was detected in CCleaner, you should be able to narrow it down a little better. Either way, cleaning out the "Recovery" backups in CCleaner should also cause it to disappear.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Because It Was in BOTH, I Believe it IS a False Positive...
by tobeach / October 20, 2006 4:49 PM PDT

since you don't have CCleaner.I inputted the trojan name (copy& pasted) into AVG Virus encyclopedia search and came back w/ no info found (not unusual as it's limited).
Good advice to remove from CCleaner back-up as well as System restore! Happy

Collapse -
Hi, Bently! Which Version of CCleaner Did You Install?...
by tobeach / October 20, 2006 5:02 PM PDT

Full version (with Toolbar?)? Basic or Slim? If full, the Yahoo Toolbar is known Adware and that MIGHT have triggered a finding. I believe it is a false positive though as posted above.
Since there is some question though, after clearing your system restore points by turning it OFF & then ON via check box,I suggest you go to CP>add/delete programs and completely Un-install CCleaner & then (further down) Yahoo Toolbar (if listed).
I then suggest you follow the instructions in the post linked below and be sure to follow the INFECTED instructions (to get rid of last 48 hours temp files).
Note: Get SLIM version (no tool bar) and you'll have a fresh start. Hope this gets it for you! Grin
Get Clean version HERE.

Collapse -
by bently / October 21, 2006 5:50 AM PDT

Thanks to all,

I had the latest version installed, Uninstalled it, and installed the slim version.

When Ewido gave me option, I deleted the trojan and the file that showed it had the trojan.

Appreciate the help.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?