Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Evolution 'Theory' Case Heads to Court

by C1ay / November 8, 2004 12:31 AM PST

ATLANTA ? A sticker in suburban Atlanta science textbooks that says evolution is "a theory, not a fact" is being challenged in court as an unlawful promotion of religion.

More...

What's your thoughts? Should evolution be taught as theory, fact or not taught at all?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Evolution 'Theory' Case Heads to Court
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Evolution 'Theory' Case Heads to Court
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) such a crock its not theory
by Mark5019 / November 8, 2004 12:52 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The theory of evolution is not a theory?
by C1ay / November 8, 2004 12:56 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) in my eyes is true we evolved
by Mark5019 / November 8, 2004 5:12 AM PST
Collapse -
Maybe we can start burning witches too
by Josh K / November 8, 2004 12:55 AM PST

What century IS this, anyway?????

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Start with Hillary.
by EdH / November 8, 2004 1:42 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Getting a head start on the '08 mudslinging, eh?
by Josh K / November 8, 2004 1:53 AM PST
Collapse -
Just free associating
by EdH / November 8, 2004 2:24 AM PST

When I hear "witch" I think "Hillary". It's only natural. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Collapse -
Theory and fact NOT mutually exclusive
by EdH / November 8, 2004 1:00 AM PST

This was in a science book? Why are there stickers in science books?

I don't care that much how they teach it. Most kids will forget it a month after school is up and the smart ones will research on their own.

Collapse -
Better start realizing if it isnt in the bible
by gearup / November 8, 2004 2:00 AM PST

It doesnt exist.Thats what this election was all about. Returning to pre civil war 19th century! I am glad I got a flu shot this year. Vaccines may be declared illegal next! And Christian Science the only accepted way to treat acute appendicitis!

Collapse -
Crock
by EdH / November 8, 2004 2:27 AM PST

So much bull has been forced on the schools from the left that a little from the right will hardly matter It all depends whose sacred ox is gored.

Collapse -
I suggest some serious study of the contemporary scene.
by Kiddpeat / November 8, 2004 2:30 AM PST

You are woefully ignorant of what people think, believe, and desire.

Collapse -
Of course it's a theory. That is the language and message
by Kiddpeat / November 8, 2004 2:26 AM PST

of science. Microevolution has, I believe, been experimentally confirmed. Macroevolution has never been experimentally confirmed and never will be. It is quite appropriate for students to be taught that it is a theory, and what that means.

Those seriously questioning evolution are not necessarily questioning it based on religious ideas. They are questioning the failure to confirm it scientifically, and the failure to answer in a convincing fashion the criticisms which have been raised. The sceptics are advocating that ALL the facts regarding evolution be made known. Why would anyone try to suppress the criticism when teaching the subject?

Collapse -
Re: Of course it's a theory. That is the language and messag

Hi, KP.

While you're correct that evolution is "only a theory," the "not fact" is wrong. "Not fact" in a science book implies that there's scientific evidence to the contrary, and there isn't.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
All I know is....
by Josh K / November 8, 2004 3:01 AM PST

...that when my daughter opens her first science textbook, I want her to read the widely accepted scientific explanation for the creation of the universe and the earth. I don't want her science teacher telling her that the earth is only 6,000 years old and was created in six days by an invisible man in the sky. If I want her to have a religious education, I'll send her to religious school.

Collapse -
Re: All I know is....
by EdH / November 8, 2004 4:14 AM PST
In reply to: All I know is....

Are you going to react the same way over the American History book that barely mentions George Washington and Thomas Jefferson and won't touch The Wright Bros or Edison because they were white males and thus not "diverse" enough?

I'd look at it as a learning experience. You can discuss it with her and tell her about the evil Christian Fundamentalists.

Or you can home school and think about the wisdom of having the government in charge of education in the first place.

Collapse -
Re: All I know is....
by Josh K / November 8, 2004 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: Re: All I know is....

No, but if her teacher tries to tell her that America was founded 20 years ago by God and the entire country was built up in a few days' time, I'm going to put a stop to it.

George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and the Wright Brothers are a part of history and there's ample proof that they really existed and did the things we're told they did (well, except the cherry tree story).

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i agree with ya josh these jerks
by Mark5019 / November 8, 2004 4:39 AM PST
Collapse -
You totally missed my point
by EdH / November 8, 2004 5:10 AM PST

What I'm saying is that there's a curious double-standard here. Your side (meaning secular liberals, not you specifically) has been cramming its point of view, some of it quite bogus down everyone's throats for years and that's okey-dokey. But let someone else try the same thing from their POV and you all scream bloody murder and declare it the advent of the Dark Ages.

All the same to me.

Tip for tap.

Collapse -
Re: You totally missed my point
by Josh K / November 8, 2004 10:13 PM PST

It's not a "point of view." It's solid science. That's the difference.

Collapse -
by EdH / November 9, 2004 12:27 AM PST

I really doubt that every bit of bogus political correctness pushed by the left is scientific in any way.

You STILL missed my point entirely. I was not arguing against evolution, I was arguing in favor of diversity. A creative teacher could cover both sides without violating any principles and without insulting anyone's religion.

Collapse -
by Josh K / November 9, 2004 12:49 AM PST

Hmmmmm....I wasn't aware until now that evolution was nothing but a "bit of bogus political correctness pushed by the left." I also have no idea what Darwin's politics might have been.

You talk about diversity and yet you mention "both" sides. There are other religious beliefs besides Christianity and Judaism, many with their own versions of how the world was created.

Funny -- I was watching parts of "The Blues Brothers" movie last night. Remember the scene where they walk into the country honkytonk and Dan Aykroyd asks what kind of music they usually have there? The bartender replies, "Oh, we have both kinds -- Country AND Western!" Wink

Collapse -
I didn't say
by EdH / November 9, 2004 1:16 AM PST

evolution was bogus. I think you are deliberately pretending to misunderstand. Fine. No reason to continue.

Collapse -
You're saying (if I get you correctly)....
by Josh K / November 9, 2004 1:59 AM PST
In reply to: I didn't say

....that evolution and creationism have equal validity and should be taught that way. I don't believe that. I think that evolution is science and that the idea of creationism is based solely on religious faith.

It has nothing to do with liberalism, political correctness or whatever other label you might try to slap on it.

Collapse -
Nope.
by EdH / November 9, 2004 2:25 AM PST

Forget it. No point in trying to explain.

Collapse -
Evolution is one side, what's the other?
by Dan McC / November 9, 2004 2:25 AM PST

What's the competing scientific theory that has anywhere near the support that evolution has?

Dan

Collapse -
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / November 9, 2004 2:51 AM PST

Ed, you miss our point. We're talking Science classes -- nonscientific material should not be covered in science courses!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
I said as much way back in this thread.
by EdH / November 9, 2004 6:24 AM PST

Quoth: This was in a science book? Why are there stickers in science books?

My objections to Josh were that the left has been foisting all kinds of politically correct nonsense on school kids for years but when a similar thing happens to THEM, whoa, it's the Inquisition! Get it now?

Maybe Reading needs to be emphasized more along with Science.

Mountains out of molehills; forest missed for trees. Equating this with witch-hunting is a little silly dontcha think?

Collapse -
There must be a message here somewhere?
by Kiddpeat / November 8, 2004 10:59 AM PST
there's ample proof that Washington, Jefferson and the Wright Brothers really existed

as compared to what?
Collapse -
Re: There must be a message here somewhere?
by Josh K / November 8, 2004 10:11 PM PST

As compared to what? You'd have to ask Ed. He's the one who asked me whether I'd be OK with including them in a history curriculum.

Collapse -
Re: All I know is-You mean the world wasn't really flat? NT
by caktus / November 8, 2004 1:45 PM PST
In reply to: All I know is....

q

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?