PC Hardware forum

General discussion

EVGA Geforce 9800 GTX+ SSC and 850w Modular Powersupply?

by DComander1 / December 9, 2008 3:03 AM PST

i have a question about my current power supply, a 850w Thermaltake Black widow modular, and the EVGA Geforce 9800 GTX+ SSC graphics card, the system requirements of the card state that a power supply with a +12v rating of 26A is needed to run the card, and my power supply only offers 18A, so heres my question, is that close to enough to run the card with zero issues? or should i replace it again, even though its new, bought it in november? and if i need to replace it, where can i find a cheap sub $200 750w-850w Power Supply with amperage needed by the card? please answer and thanks to those who do.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: EVGA Geforce 9800 GTX+ SSC and 850w Modular Powersupply?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: EVGA Geforce 9800 GTX+ SSC and 850w Modular Powersupply?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
that power supply is fine for that card
by ramarc / December 9, 2008 4:02 AM PST

the 9800gtx+ using dual 6pin peg connectors. your power supply has multiple rails. each connector is usually on its own rail so 2x18A = 36A.

Collapse -
RE: that power supply is fine for that card
by DComander1 / December 9, 2008 4:23 AM PST

Thanks, i wasn't to sure if my power supply could handle it, but i remembered that 18+18=36, and a graphics card usually takes 2 6 pin power connectors, but i still needed a professional opinion on it just to be on the safe side, since this will be the first time ill be going with a top level graphics card from EVGA, as i have a budget card from them right now.

Collapse -
btw, ati/amd dropped price of radeon hd 4870 yesterday
by ramarc / December 9, 2008 4:27 AM PST

so the price for 9800gtx+ has fallen to $160-$170. make sure you're not paying too much.
newegg link

Collapse -
RE: btw, ati/amd dropped price of radeon hd 4870 yesterday
by DComander1 / December 9, 2008 5:02 AM PST

i don't care about price, as most gamers are, since i have $488 in the bank and little more during the holidays, and plus, i want to run both FSX and Call of Duty 4 with slightly more than decent frame rates on high settings at 1024x768 or 1280x1024 (depending if i can afford a 19' LCD), and im also a EVGA fan (from last year)\Nvidia fan (from 2003\2004)

Collapse -
dont care about price?
by CascaLonginus / December 9, 2008 8:29 AM PST

If money is no object, dont buy evga, they only have a 2 year warranty.
BFG nvidia products have a lifetime warranty, and if they have that much confidence in their products....well..plus their costomer service is excellent. Google BFG and at least check em out...

Collapse -
RE: dont care about price?
by DComander1 / December 9, 2008 9:25 AM PST
In reply to: dont care about price?

im a EVGA Fan since last year, and i already did a successful RMA with them for a nForce 650i Ultra motherboard that fried on me after trying to re-attach a heatsink, so im sticking with EVGA for the long run.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.